Thoughts and Prayers in the Midst of a Hot Summer's Day at Work

Just when it seemed we were out of the woods re oppressive heat/humidity here in the Northeast, a hot/humid spell engulfed us last week. I don't know about you, but days of 90 degree temperatures, usually matched with humid air, tend to drag the last dregs out of this weary mind and body, especially when trying to get in some outdoor exercise in the midst of a busy work week. Oh why do I have to work during hot summer days? Wouldn't lounging about somewhere - like maybe the beach - be a better place for me, instead of this work that's got me racking my brain and tearing my hair out for what seems like so little reward?

Okay, no more whining. Let's turn to a prayer instead:
"Dear Jesus, I do trust You for the guidance of my life, and to You I have long ago entrusted it. But at times the dice of life seem loaded against me, and it looks like a useless thing to try to play the game of life straight. I call on You, and You give no least sign of listening. I implore You, and I seem to fail to catch Your attention. It is hard to go ahead then – and You know it is. But all the same I want to prove my love for You then, and so I humbly beg Your grace to be always patient with You.” (Father LeBuffe, SJ)
That's better. When I turn to Our Lord, the summer's worst heat as well as the day's hard, frustrating tasks ease their grip. A hint of peace and clarity of mind return; additional thoughts flow:
Ask and it shall be given to you.  Only we want it now, not when God gives it.  That’s where patience comes in.  Can’t we just learn this lesson and relax?  If not, ask the grace to do so.  God won’t hold back grace; just answers.

But, of course, we hardly speak or even think about God during the day.  For most of us, perhaps occasionally, but hardly consistently.  God knows how hard, if not impossible, it is to think constantly about Him.  But we not only lack the attention, we generally lack the IN-tention.  We’re more concerned about what we want: pleasure, rest, success, reward for a good job, etc.  In short, we focus on ourselves and our needs and wants, not God.  We follow a natural path and neglect the supernatural, i.e., we fail to live by faith, hope and love of God.  Lacking attention to the present moment, we miss opportunities for little mortifications, mentally saying short aspirations, offering our work, at least the bigger, important tasks, throughout the day, for His greater glory.
Hard as it is to be constant and consistent in our attention to God throughout a busy day, we can at least get into the habit of little mortifications and aspirations; we can remember to offer our work for His glory once, twice, three times a day.  Slowly, but surely, we can direct our attention away from ourselves and towards God.
Let's end with another prayer:
“Seek in all things to give pleasure to our Lord; do all with a great purity of intention. Before each action, say to our Lord, ‘My Jesus, I wish to do this solely for love of You; and if this action did not please You, I would not do it.’ If we do everything solely for love of Christ it is impossible for Him to fail to unite Himself to us. ‘The Father hath not left me alone, for I do always the things that please Him.’ It is the same for us: Our Lord will keep us ever united to Himself if we do all things, with the sole intention of pleasing Him.” (Abbot Columba Marmion, O.S.B. (1858-1923))







Comments

Popular Posts