The Book of Daniel and Surviving a Trial by Fire at Work

Having survived a few encounters with "Trial by Fire" at work, I can tell you there's a good and bad side. The bad side consists of the fact that you might be thrown in to a situation without any preparation or training and left to sink or swim, sometimes by a boss who couldn't care less about you, but who needs a successful result to bolster his own standing. The good side consists of a certain strength of character that results from the effort to face and handle a really difficult situation.

By way of example, let's turn the clock back to a time when I worked as a musician for a business that catered to weddings, bar mitvahs, and other social events. The boss told me to take the reins of one of our bands at a bar mitvah and not only lead the band, but play games with the kids - an integral part of the service offered by this organization to its Jewish customers. Having been what's known as a "side man" during my time playing guitar and singing for music organizations, I had no particular skills as a band leader. Not only did I lack the skills, but I definitely lacked any inclination to acquire such skills. Being the center of attention made me uneasy. I like my privacy. Besides I'm kind of shy with crowds or people I don't really know. While my side man responsibilities included playing and singing, that was usually during dinner while everyone was talking and eating, or during a dance set while everyone was, well, dancing - not staring at me. But the leader was always in the spotlight, and that was a source of dread for me. Not only that, but playing games with 13 year-olds, something I was forced to do from time to time as a side man, was an excruciating exercise, and I suspected my facial expressions and physical demeanor probably communicated that. To put it mildly, I was not a good fit as a band leader, most especially at a bar mitzvah where you had to entertain young teen-aged kids. But, since I needed the money, and the big boss was in a bind, I kind of had to do it.

I'll spare you the details, except to say that the evening wasn't as bad as I feared.

If you've experienced "Trial by Fire" on the job - or are in the midst of such right now - you might want to read through the book of Daniel, Chapter 3. The King of Babylon decided everyone had to worship this golden god he had created, but three of the Jews he had appointed as officials in his kingdom refused. The king, Nebuchadnezzar, furious with their refusal, ordered that the three be thrown into a furnace "heated seven times more than it was wont to be heated." If you don't know what happened next, read the chapter. But if you remember, the three, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego not only walked around unharmed in the furnace unharmed, but praised God while doing so. Plus, a fourth person appears with them, an angel sent by God to protect them.

These guys walked right into the furnace strengthened by their faith. Next time you face a trial by fire, you might want to remember them and do the same: trust in God, and just jump right in.

As for Nebudchednezzar, after seeing all this he can't help but be impressed. To his credit, he not only declares, "Blessed by the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who has sent his angel and delivered his servants, who trusted in him," but he went ahead and "promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the province of Babylon." So this trial by fire not only strengthens the character of the three, but they were promoted to boot!

By the way, I wonder if this was the source of the expression, "Trial by Fire." Anyone know? Must be, right? In any case, by way of a special bonus to get your work day off on the right foot, here's a cool way to hear the story of Shadrach, Mesach, and Abednego, as brilliantly interpreted by The Larks. Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts