How Daily Prayer, Reading Scripture, Spiritual Works, and Studying My Catholic Religion Helped Me on 9/11 2001

Since the anniversary of 9/11 occurs on our usual publication day and since I was in the thick of things on September 11, 2001, I thought I'd share a few thoughts with you about that day. The key message will be how the daily practice of prayer, reading Scripture, spiritual works, and studying my Catholic religion helped me on 9/11.

When the second plane hit the South Tower of the World Trade Center, I was standing a few blocks south of that on my way to work. My back was to the tower, so I heard the explosion and turned to see the terrible fire and billowing smoke. In front of me, dozens of people's faces had turned from their usual daily humdrum expressions to fear and panic. Some were screaming, one particular lady called on Jesus to save her. Having no real idea what just happened, but knowing the world had just turned upside down and I was in danger, I immediately said the first of three Acts of Contrition that day. I must say I thought I was going to die. This Act of Contrition came to me naturally. I prayed it silently with each word clear and distinct in my mind.

I won't take you through everything that happened that day, but essentially after arriving at my office (where else could I go?), and getting more information, it became clear we had to leave our building and try to find a way to get home. And after the collapse of the towers engulfed the area in thick, impenetrable smoke, there was yet another moment for an Act of Contrition, as the feeling of being "trapped" south of the towers with no apparent way to safely head north. Rumors of additional attacks created an atmosphere of fear as thick as the smoke outside our building.

After the smoke cleared enough so it was safe to exit the building, being completely out of touch with my loved ones (no phone or cell service), I began the walk uptown with a few co-workers, one of whom suffered from a respiratory condition, requiring us to stop from time to time. From time to time, we heard fighter jets overhead, never knowing if some other attack was going to take place. Fear was in the air despite our attempts to remain calm and help each other during our journey north.

I said the Act of Contrition yet again as we walked. The sound of fighter jets overhead, the lack of any real understanding of what might happen next, being "exposed" now as we walked uptown, caused me to think yet again I might die that day. After making our way uptown, eventually our group split up, heading in different directions. Assured that my mates were safely on their way, and without any means of transportation to get home, I ducked into a Catholic church rather than hang around Grand Central or the various bars and restaurants that remained open in the area. There someone led the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, which the few of us in the church prayed with him.

This was just a brief recounting of the events of that terrible day. There's much more to the story. But the point I wanted to make here today is simply that I believe the spiritual discipline of daily prayer, meditation, reading Scripture and spiritual works, and studying my Catholic Religion, all wrapped up in at least a rudimentary trust in God (especially in His Divine Mercy that day), had formed a tough inner spiritual core which allowed me to put things into perspective. I was more "ready to die" than fearful when I said those Acts of Contrition. My prayers for safety, laced with prayers for my loved ones (two of whom were especially in harms way that day), co-workers, etc., all flowed naturally that day.

Wrapping up, we pray now for those who died that day, as well as their families. And I can only urge you yet again - as we do from time to time in this blog - to spend a few minutes each day practicing your spiritual discipline of prayer, meditation, reading Scripture and spiritual works as well as studying our Catholic Religion. You may never face a 9/11 in your life, but we all face trials in our lives. I can assure you that you will be thankful for that tough inner spiritual core that can and will sustain you in any and all of those trials.

Comments

Popular Posts