A Sunday Thought About the Blogosphere Dustup Over Fulton J. Sheen's Cause for Sainthood

Every once in a while (or maybe even more often than that), the Catholic blogosphere erupts in a dustup, the most recent of which was over the suspension of the cause for sainthood for Fulton J. Sheen initiated by the Diocese of Peoria. Question: Why do Catholics get so wrapped up in these sorts of things?

I'm not saying, of course, that devotees and admirers of Archbishop Sheen might not be disappointed in this turn of events. That's only natural, especially if you've ever seen any of Fulton Sheen's famous broadcasts or read his books. Between his skillful writing and his on-air personality, it's hard to think of anyone who has communicated our Holy Faith more effectively to both Catholics and non-Catholics alike. Whether he should be declared a saint is another matter, one beyond my ken. But the intense debate, dispute and argument over his cause for sainthood leave me cold. Why do Catholics focus on these sorts of events so intensely?

Don't people have enough to do in their struggle to practice their Catholic faith than to spend time either writing about such "official" church business, or reacting to those who report such business? I'm not saying I don't occasionally check in with sources that tell me what Pope Francis might have said recently, or the latest goings-on in Rome or even what's happening in my home diocese. But those occasions are rare. What real difference does all that make to the call we have all received to know, love, and serve God in this world, and hope for an eternity of happiness in Heaven after we make our exit from this Vale of Tears?

And so my curiosity and contact with the goings-on of our parish, our diocese, even Rome is limited to what seems needed or prudent. And if I miss anything, rather than feel left out, I'm usually relieved when I hear a friend or acquaintance refer to some event or controversy. Or course, I'm naturally curious and interested in what the person might be saying, but more so relieved that I managed to get through the day, the week, or the month safely without having heard the news. Frankly, if the conversation gets too intense or heated, I'm more likely than not going to try to change the subject or at least minimize the focus on - as in the Fulton Sheen instance  - the whys, wherefores and justifications for the action or actions of parties whose job it is to administer affairs for the institution of the Church. They've got their jobs and I've got mine.

Put another way, the practice of the virtues of faith, hope and charity pretty much require my full attention and dedication day in and day out. I just don't have the time or the energy to judge others in my immediate circle of family and friends - or at least I try not to judge. As for church officials in Peoria or Rome, people whom I don't know and whose activities are reported to me second-hand, it's generally better to just let them go about their business, with a simple prayer that God's Will be done.

Do I always succeed in this? What do you think? But at least it's something worth trying.

Comments

Popular Posts