A Sunday Thought About the Descent of the Holy Ghost

We're one week from Pentecost, that day when the Holy Spirit, once commonly called the Holy Ghost in English prior to Vatican II, descended on Our Lord's disciples who were gathered in the upper room in Jerusalem. It's time to prepare ourselves for this great feast.

When the Holy Spirit/Ghost descended on Our Lord's followers - the first Christians - on that day two millennia ago, He enlightened their minds, directly helping them to understand the Truth in its fullness, that same Truth which they would diligently and courageously bring first to the Jews, then, led by St Paul to the whole world. And so Pentecost is a big deal.

This week, we noted how the Apostles, even as Our Lord was about to ascend into Heaven, didn't yet understand the real meaning of His Kingdom. Looking back, it seems incredible, but then again, how much do we really understand about the Truths of our Holy Faith? For me, it's a banner day when I realize I've come to a deeper understanding of my Catholic Faith. And, of course, when I'm thinking clearly, I immediately thank the Holy Spirit. I understand that it wasn't my own brilliance, but rather His gift that helped me deepen my understanding. And when I'm really firing on all cylinders, it occurs to me that His "inspiration" is a continuation of something that has been going on not only since that first Pentecost, but the beginning of time. What Pentecost represents is a kind of "formal" unveiling of the mysterious working of the Holy Spirit for all to see.

My point here is to remember the critical role of the Holy Spirit not only in the history of the Church, but in each of our lives. He really does dwell within each of us. And if we cooperate with his grace, we will grow closer and closer to God throughout our lives, ultimately being filled with His grace, and thereby united with Him, as the great hymn to the Holy Ghost many of us will sing next week explains:

Come Holy Ghost, Creator Blest
And in our hearts take up they rest
Come with they grace and heavenly aid
To fill the hearts which Thou hast made
To fill the hearts which Thou hast made

To dig just a little deeper, consider these words of Archbishop James Leen, C.S.Sp:
“…this union with God, which results from the indwelling of His Holy Spirit in us, is the unique object of our existence. It is for this alone that we have been created and have been redeemed. No other purpose whatever can be assigned to our life’s effort…"
May I suggest you read these words again...and again. Let them really sink in as you prepare for Pentecost Sunday.

Comments

Popular Posts