A Sunday Thought About All The Fuss Over the Pope

A little more than a year after Pope Francis became Pope, he continues to make news with his various comments and pronouncements, some off the cuff, some more formal. I suppose it's only natural that a pope gets such attention, but it is ironic since there's so much enmity towards the Catholic Church out there. You'd think people who think the Church is irrelevant would just ignore the Pope.

Of course, for those who simply think the Church is irrelevant, that might be true, But the enmity I'm talking about doesn't allow for that. "Enmity" means being actively opposed or hostile to someone or something. And there we find many who see the Church as the greatest obstacle to whatever they hold near and dear: their own personal sins that they won't or can't let go, some grand social scheme they've concocted that will create a paradise on earth, or just the belief that, darn it, I'll do whatever I want to do, whenever I want, as long as I don't hurt anyone else, and no one is gonna tell me otherwise.

Then there's all the hubbub coming from Catholics who want the Pope to say and do things differently - the difference having to do mostly with their own personal preferences. The so-called "liberals" like when Francis talks about the poor, and about not being judgmental. That gets the so-called "conservative" Catholics up in arms, as they accuse the Pope of dancing precariously on some sort of heretical tightrope.

In the end, Pope Francis, a human being like us, says and does things that rub some people the right way, some the wrong way. So what!

For us Catholics who try to live our faith, we know that in addition to being a human being just like us, the Pope is the Vicar of Christ on earth. The word "vicar" derives from the Latin "vicarius" or substitute. So the Pope substitutes for Christ Himself, the true Head of the Catholic Church. In this we owe the Pope deference and honor.

So Pope Francis sometimes speaks as a human being and occasionally as Vicar of Christ. Not that we should ignore him, but it's when he speaks as Vicar of Christ that we Catholics ought to really perk up and pay attention.

With all that in mind, each of us has been given a life to live here on earth, a gift of life that provides us the opportunity to work out our salvation. And to work out our salvation, the Church teaches us that our lives should be centered on knowing, loving and serving Christ. The Church also teaches us that, after we die, Christ wants us to live with Him in eternal happiness. Our knowing, loving and serving Him in this world will be our sure way to that ultimate eternal happiness.

So when people kick up a fuss about the Pope, about something he did or said, I try to remind myself that what the Pope says or does mostly doesn't really have all that much to do with me, with the reason God created me, or with my daily struggle to cooperate with God's graces, leading me to a holier life. Really.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the Pope is irrelevant. I'm not saying I haven't come across some things he's said and done that cause me to wonder what he really means or what he's really up to. It's just that I don't look for these things. I've got enough going on in my life between family matters, work, prayer, study, exercise, etc. to occupy most of the roughly 16 hours in a given 24 that I'm awake and functioning at more or less full capacity.

Besides, Our Lord said He would be with us until the end of time. And remember that He sent His Holy Spirit to guide His Church and keep it on the right path. I'm sure Pope Francis knows this too. I suspect he does his best to speak and act in accordance with his position as Vicar of Christ. Given the fact that he's a human being like us, maybe he's not always going to be perfect in what he says and does - as if any of us were.

Yes, I realize the Pope ought to be aware of the fact that so many of us do focus on his words and deeds, and he must know that what he says and does affects people in ways that aren't true for the average person. So if you're thinking he sometimes says and does things that belie that reality, maybe you're right at times. But, again, so what.

With Our Lord's promise to be with us and the gift of His Holy Spirit, at some point, we have to learn to leave things in His Sacred Hands and just go about our business.

Comments

Popular Posts