Another Sunday Thought About Waging War During Lent

Last Sunday we talked about how our struggle each day to do good and avoid evil can be like war. Here again this Sunday Father Martial Lekeux, O.F.M. encourages us as we engage in battle, most especially during this holy season of Lent:

“No vice is so tenacious as to resist the persevering efforts of a good will. But effort and perseverance are necessary. A fault is not uprooted in a week, nor in a month. Moreover, there’s no rush. You have your whole life for that. You were too hasty in saying that you would never succeed. Do you want to know why you haven’t succeeded? Because you haven’t tried. ‘But I did!’ you object. ‘Over and over again. To me it seems the more I try the worse I get. I watch myself all day long. I slave. I struggle against my faults. At night I think I have made some improvement. But when I wake up the next morning, I feel that they have grown again during the night and that I will have to start all over again. Or, it might be something like this. For a month I plod along. I advance slightly. Temptation comes, I slip back, and there they are, those cursed faults, stronger than ever. There’s the proof. Why go on?’ Little man of even less faith, listen to this parable.
“A man was looking for a servant who would be a good and trustworthy worker. Such people are hard to find these days. An applicant arrived. ‘My friend,’ said the master, ‘your job is to clean up this cluttered yard.’ He worked hard and completed the task. While he slept, his employer had the debris brought back, and added a few extra pieces. Imagine the servant’s surprise when, come morning, he saw the yard. ‘Well, that’s a good one. I worked all day yesterday cleaning that yard, and now it has to be done all over again. What’s going on?’ He went and complained to the master, who said simply: ‘Do it again.’ He did, but he grumbled and was less ambitious than the day before. Yet, by nightfall he had once again cleared away a good part of the yard. That night, the same trick. When he saw this the second time, he cursed and threatened to quit. ‘Good, my lad, you may leave.’ Another applied for the job. He was given the same work, and on the first morning, faced the same sabotage. His reaction was just the opposite. He lit his pipe and started working, singing to himself. Next morning, when the same thing happened, he said: ‘I had a square meal. This is the boss’ business.’ So again he lit up his pipe and began working. The same smile, the same good humor, the same work continued throughout the week – doing over what was undone during the night. The master called him and said: ‘You have done well. I’ll hire you as my servant. I’ll increase your wages.’ He was a wise employer.”
I've found Father so encouraging and inspiring so far this Lent. We'll post more of his thoughts next Sunday.

A blessed Lent to all!

Comments

Popular Posts