Advent at Work - Christmas Eve

Last minute thoughts with Christmas less than 24 hours away.

Work to be done, but the cut-off will have to be early afternoon since we're committed to a family Christmas Eve gathering that starts early. So the work won't all get done, but whatever MUST get done will be done. So much of work is like that, especially when you run a small business. You do - as we say in New York - whatchagottado and figure out how to best handle the rest. It'll get done...somehow. For now, what's most important is Christmas.

Thanks be to God, I've covered all the pressing client "to dos" and am working on clean-up. Soon work will fade for a blessed stretch of time. But thinking too about those who have to work Christmas Day as some always do.

All the almost-anxiety over pressing stuff, the near-exasperation while I'm rushing here and there, the virtual hair-pulling over last-minute crunch-time-why-can't-the-world-leave-me-in-peace-to-prepare for-the-coming-of-Christ fades whenever I remember to pray, especially when I pray, "Divine Infant of Bethlehem, come and take birth in my heart. Prayer recognizes that God is in charge, not me. So I just go about my business and any worry and anxiety I can deposit with Him.

Along those lines, I remember what it must have been like for Mary and Joseph, travelling to Bethlehem with Mary almost due to deliver baby Jesus. You know the story in Luke, especially where there's no room for them in the inn and they wind up in a stable or cave. How Joseph managed this, how he dealt with Mary becoming pregnant by the power of the Holy Spirit (and all the snide remarks he might have, or perhaps must have, heard from neighbors, friends, relatives) - it all reminds me that I can call on Joseph for the strength and calm I need in this pre-Christmas crunch time, especially with this nasty cold from which I'm just now recovering. (It's always something!)

But each moment, as the clock ticks away, draws Him closer to us and us closer to Him. That's all that matters now. Ah, it must be the "Christmas Spirit" taking over!

Yes, it's coming, first faintly felt, then with a greater rush. Christmas will be here, and just as it was over 2,000 years ago, the weary world - and this weary soul - will rejoice.

Divine Infant of Bethlehem,
come and take birth in our hearts

Comments

Popular Posts