A Sunday Thought About Real Comfort

Too many of us seek comfort from the wrong places. Despite the financial difficulties that have affected us since 2008, when it comes to material comforts, we still live in a relatively comfortable society compared with the rest of the world. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with this, but it can entice us to seek more and more of the material comforts our society offers. For some of us, that can take up an extraordinary amount of time, energy and resources.

I know people who, at the first sign of any discomfort, pop the nearest over-the-counter remedy into their mouths. Or perhaps they run to the doctor when they feel anxious and - without exaggeration - demand comfort in the form of some "anti-depressant" or similar pill. If you're aware of this trend, you know how many of us are on various "meds." (I'm of course not talking about people who really do need medication for legitimate physical or emotional ailments.)

Even if you're not on meds, there's the whole world of "comfort foods." I'm no expert on this, but it seems to me that too many of us are eating too much comfort food these days to ease our anxieties and worries. As a result, we're getting bigger and bigger (as in fatter).

But we Catholics know where the source of true comfort lies. And during this holy season of Advent, it behooves us to recall that Our Lord came to live amongst us to show us that comfort is always available if we turn to him in any of our pain, sorrow and, yes, discomfort.

One of my favorite verses of Scripture is Matthew 11:28.

Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden
and I will give you rest

There's a special reason for my attachment to this Scripture verse. As a young boy in a decent church choir, I sung boy soprano and in fact sang this at our Christmas Cantata for a number of years. It never ceases to move me, but at this time of year it naturally brings me back to those Cantatas. They were one of the highlights of my youth, and remain one of the highlights of my life. I really understood that I was singing for the glory of God.

Continuing with our selections from Handel's Messiah, here is the the aria "He Shall Feed His Flock; Come Unto Him..." sung by Barbara Bonney, an accomplished opera singer. I chose this Youtube clip for its superb sound and beautiful video. Usually the two sections are sung by separate singers: "He shall feed His flock," by a mezzo then "Come unto him" by a soprano. But Ms Bonney handles both beautifully here.



Divine Infant of Bethlehem
come and take birth in our hearts.

Comments

Popular Posts