The Practice of Mortification at Work: Practical Suggestions

We've been exploring the meaning and importance of mortification and how it's perfectly suited to being practiced at work. Father Edward Leen helped us understand that this practice isn't just some optional or "extra" thing we can do as Catholics in order to grow in holiness, but it is rather essential to living an authentic Catholic life. (Click HERE for the first installment of our discussion.)

So now, grounded in the sure knowledge and understanding of the importance of the practice of mortification, let's look at some practical suggestions from another solid and sure guide on the way to personal holiness, Father Joseph Shryvers, C. S.S. R. Father knows that the big, BIG, stumbling block to making progress in the the spiritual life, in increasing in personal holiness, in growing closer to God, is - no surprise here - US: our self-love, self-indulgence, self-satisfaction. All these we need to renounce. Father suggests we practice what he calls "universal renunciation":
Live in the present moment only; occupy yourself entirely in fulfilling your duties calmly, without eagerness and without loitering; but during your occupations, be on watch for occasions to give pleasure to Jesus, Who works, prays, and lives in you. When the opportunity of making a little sacrifice arises, such as mortification of the taste, of an inclination, of a whim, of self-will, of judgment, or of curiousity - seize the occasion with eagerness, then quietly continue on your way. 
Isn't this just perfect for us to practice at work? Let's see how.

Fulfill your duties without eagerness and without loitering:

The work day begins: Go about your work. If you left off yesterday on a project that needs to be completed right away, do that. If you have a list of "To Dos" jump right in on Item #1. Whatever your method of organizing your work on a daily basis (and you really should have such a method), simply go right ahead with your work the moment the work day begins. You don't need to be eager, or to put it another way "psyche yourself up," before you begin. Just begin. And if you're tempted to delay beginning and get a second cup of coffee or turn to a co-worker to "chat," don't. Just get to work.

Watch for occasions to give pleasure to Jesus:

Work and keep Jesus in mind at the same time. Keep Jesus with you, hold Him in your heart and mind at work, rather than checking Him at the door when you begin working. Think of the phrase "walk and chew gum at the same time." If you can do that, you can work and keep Jesus with you. You can do this. And if you find it difficult, think of that beautiful phrase, that Jesus "works, prays, and lives in you." How wonderful! No matter how boring or trivial the task at hand, Jesus is with you and "works, prays and lives in you"!

To share something personal, I think the reason I always have trouble "keeping Jesus" at work is that I'm always thinking of myself. I just can't get myself (my inner thoughts, my feelings of the moment, physical and emotional, what I have to do today, what I forgot to do yesterday, etc. - even what I'm going to have for lunch!) out of my mind most of the time. So Father's reminder that Jesus works, prays and lives in me both humbles and chastises me. How awful that I'm so self-centered! But here Our Lord sits, by my side, each day, whether I pay Him a moment's notice or not. The more I can remember this, the more I can acknowledge His Presence, the less inclined I am to focus on me. Not only will my work improve - as I focus on the task at hand rather than my own thoughts and feelings - but over time His Holy Spirit will fill my heart and mind, rather than the random thoughts that constantly flow in and out of my brain.

That's why saying occasional aspirations that turn our minds for an instant to Our Lord or His Blessed Mother, like "I love you Jesus," or "All for You Jesus," or "Dear Mother, I renounce myself and give myself to you," or whatever little aspirations you prefer, are so important throughout the day. No one expects us to behave like monks in a monastery while we're at work and take breaks throughout the day to pray and chant in a chapel. The fulfillment of the duties of our state of life should be our focus each day. And if we work in the world, that means we do the best job we can. But sprinkling our work with these little reminders of Our Blessed Lord or Our Lady will help us overcome our natural self-centered focus and help us draw nearer to God in our daily work. At least it seems that way to me.

Next time we continue with Father Shryvers suggested practice of "universal renunciation." 




Comments

Popular Posts