The Boston Terrorist Attack

The terrorist attack in Boston yesterday halted a challenging work day and quickly put any difficulties in perspective. Massive coverage continues to dominate media outlets this morning.

I posted my planned piece today and it includes a brief mention of my experience during 9/11 - completely unplanned, since I had already written the piece prior. Then this early this morning, I opened my Bible to the Psalms - the usual place I start my daily Scripture reading. I usually read the Psalms in order, so I was up to Psalm 86. Here are some selected parts of what I read:

Incline thy ear, O Lord, and answer me,
for I am poor and needy...

Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
hearken to my cry of supplication.
In the day of my trouble I call on thee
for though dost answer me...

O God, insolent men have risen up against me; 
a band of ruthless men seek my life,
and they do not set thee before them.
But thou, O Lord, art a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness.
Turn to me and take pity on me;
give they strength to thy servant, 
and save the son of thy handmaid.
Show my a sign of thy favor,
that those who hate me may see
and be put to shame
because thou, Lord, has helped me and comforted me.

These words informed and tempered my reaction to the events in Boston. They bring a comfort and perspective, and turn my eyes to the Lord, the source of all, helping me to trust in Him, in His mercy, in His love.

As I prepare for work today, I pray for those who died, were injured and for their families.

I have been especially urging you to make the time for reading Scripture (and spiritual works, and doctrinal works...) each day. If you don't already do this, perhaps you will now understand why it's so important. Perhaps you can see how God works with us in our spiritual discipline.

Comments

Popular Posts