A Palm Sunday Morning Thought to Start the Week Off

Pope Francis will celebrate Holy Thursday Mass in a prison. This is but the latest of his words and actions that have stirred the pot in Rome and around the world.

If you've ever worked in a company when a new leader arrived, you know how things typically progress. The new guy (or gal) typically wants to make their mark in some way. Some come in quietly, some with great fanfare. My own experience has been that the new leaders I've worked under didn't really make much difference in the end, but they sure caused a lot of consternation for a while in the beginning.

And so we see reactions from all quarters to our new pope: rejoicing, confusion, consternation, etc. It will continue for a while, I suppose. Heck, I've got my own first impressions, but, frankly, who cares what I think? Besides, Holy Week's coming up and whatever Francis does or doesn't do this week, I've got to focus my attention - here and now - on the profound events portrayed during Holy Week and the special graces that will flow from now through Easter Sunday. And so, I suggest, should you. Let Pope Francis be pope.

Okay, so maybe I can share this one thought, as long as you just take it as an impression from one rather obscure layman who read his Bible at the same time he heard about the Mass at the prison. I have no idea if Pope Francis decided to say Mass there in the spirit of this passage from Isaiah, but I share it with you today nonetheless:

Bring no more vain offerings;
incense is an abomination to me.
New moon and sabbath and the calling of assemblies - 
I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly.
Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hates:
they have become a burden to me,
I am weary of bearing them.
Whey you spread forth your hands,
I will hide my eyes from you;
even though you make many prayers, 
I will not listen;
your hands are full of blood.
Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean;
remove the evil of your doings from before my eyes;
cease to do evil, learn to do good;
seek justice, correct oppression;
defend the fatherless, plead for the widow.

I pray you have a Blessed Holy Week.

Comments

Popular Posts