A Sunday Morning Thought to Start the Week Off Right

Well, after several weeks "on edge" things finally calmed down a bit. Sunday morning, as usual, is extra quiet both in and outside our home. During the more intense moments of the past weeks, prayers shot out of my brain at in increased clip. Nothing critical, but I wanted Our Lord to know that I rely on Him these days.

On the other hand, there are times when you want answers from God - the more specific the better. Oh, and it would be really great if the answer would be forthcoming...like right away!

We've all faced times like this in our work and personal lives. And so I want to share a really good description of such a time as written by Michael O'Brien in his excellent The Father's Tale that I've mentioned a couple of times. The main character is searching for his son, who has disappeared and feared "lost" to a cult. I suspect you'll recognize the drama in the father's prayer:
"O God, save my son!" He felt it was a worthy prayer, yet he wondered if God now wanted another investment of the self. What if the Lord desired that he...work together more directly, step by step, giver and receiver talking together about specifics. 
"Father," he said, head bowed, hands held out before him, "what am I to do?" 
Silence.
"If you want me to go on, please show me the way. Where should I look?" 
Silence. 
"Father, I hear nothing." Though this might not be exact, for the peace that filled the exchange was,  perhaps, a kind of language.
"Am I not supposed to know?" 
More peace, more silence. 
But he needed answers, directions, maps! Even a nudge would suffice. Why did God not wish him to have them? Why was there no answer in a language he could comprehend.
If you've ever prayed like this and "heard" the silence that the author describes, you may also know the frustration of such prayers - at least at first. But, as in this story, eventually an answer will come - if not the whole answer, at least the beginning of an answer. But you must listen. You must not run away from God's silence. It's just one of the ways he "speaks" to us.

This week, I will, as the prayer "A Morning Resolve" advises, cultivate the habit of holy silence.


Comments

Popular Posts