12/12/12

It's 12/12/12, i.e., December 12, 2012. The next time we'll see a date like this will be 88 years from now, on January 1, 2101, when it will be 1/1/1. The last time we saw such a date was on January 1, 2001, when it was also 1/1/1.

Apparently there's a flood of people going to get married today, simply because of the date, which is known as a "triple date." So, let's see, people will get married on a Wednesday, smack dab in the middle of the week, just because it's a triple date. Of course, think about how exciting it will be when someone asks them in then future, "When were you married?" and they can say, "12/12/12." Let's forget about the fact that I've never been asked in my entire life when I was married. Were you?

So since no one's going to ask them, will they volunteer this to others in the future? Will they call or text (or whatever the technology is at the time) their friends to let them know that, indeed, they were married on 12/12/12? "What foresight!", their friends may think, or even say. "You thought this through so well, being married on the last triple digit day to come in, lo, these 88 years. Why, I'm even envious, as there's a good chance I may die before the next triple digit day."

Well, silly as this is, I suppose these folks are a bit more sane than those awaiting the "end of the Mayan calendar." Now there's a lot who need some human friendship and counseling. Imagine wringing your hands over the end of a calendar cycle of ethnic Mexican Indians. I even know a fellow who's been planning for this for years. I haven't spoken to him lately, but my guess is he's either dropped the idea, or he's preparing himself for the end.

The obsession with "the end times" isn't anything new. Throughout history people have thought that it was coming soon; some even predicted specific dates - none of which came to pass, in case you're wondering.

The only thing we know (at least some of us) is that someday the end will indeed come. I heard a priest recently say that the odds of it happening in our lifetimes was slim. How he knew that, I don't know; I didn't bother to ask either.

For now, I'm just going back to work, knowing that the end could come any second, even as I'm posting this blo.......

Comments

Popular Posts