A Sunday Morning Thought to Start the Week Off

It looks like Obama and Romney will be running neck and neck until election day rolls around. The two candidates haven't really addressed that many issues in their recent debates - and our country has many MANY issues that need addressing.

Did you watch the debates? I confess I only saw part of #3 - maybe about 15 minutes or so. It only confirmed my decision to not waste my time in the first place. The candidates seemed to just recite rehearsed statements, rarely actually addressing the debating point or the comments of their opponent. Hence there wasn't much actual debating going on.

Of course, even if they did address important issues, and even if they did engage in an actual debate, the sad fact remains that all too often politicians talk up a storm during a campaign, but don't actually do what they claimed they were going to do.

But instead of sinking into a cynical whine about politicians, I decided to focus my attention on the one issue I hope all we authentic Catholics can agree MUST BE ADDRESSED IMMEDIATELY, once the election results come in: religious freedom. The Catholic Church, Catholic organziations, and individual Catholics must not be forced to offer or accept services that involve contraception or abortion, as would be the case if things stand as they are under Obamacare.
 I think I know how this will be dealt with if Obama's elected (unless he undergoes a miraculous conversion, or course), so let's focus on what needs to happen if Romney's elected and why I'm saying it MUST BE ADDRESSED IMMEDIATELY?

Will Romney and the Republicans reverse the disastrous attack on religious freedom posed by Obamacare, and will they do so RIGHT AWAY? I have my doubts, but I hope I'm wrong. My doubts are based upon past history and the simply fact that legislation on the massive scale as represented by Obamacare is never reversed. And if Obamacare isn't reversed, Romney will have to somehow act to ensure that Catholics - or anyone else for that matter - will not and will never be forced to act against the dictates of their religion. He must do this immediately, before the opposing forces have time to either wear him down or find ways to block the effort. Once time goes by, the chances of doing anything drop to virtually nil. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

But perhaps more important for us Catholics will be what we as individuals will do in response to the attack on our religious freedom. Will we - you and I - draw the line at some point?

I've brought up the idea of living our faith without compromise in the last few Sunday reflections, and this seems to be one concrete area all of us Catholics will have to face in the not-to-distant future. Can we live our faith without compromise if nothing is done by the federal government to reverse the decision to force us to act against our faith - and therefore our individual conscience? What will you do if the federal government won't "let you" live your faith without compromise? Will you just go along with this disaster or somehow take your stand for the faith and for Jesus Christ?


Comments

Popular Posts