Trusting in God No Matter What

When I'm at work, it's harder to trust in God. I'm expected to be "in charge." When things go wrong, I'm supposed to make them right.

That's only natural, of course, but I also find that sometimes I forget to trust in God. I forget to say "They will be done," because I really don't want His Will to be done. I want things to turn out the way I want them to turn out.

Or maybe I say I'm going to trust in God, but really I'm trusting in me. That's because trusting in God means that at some point you really have to let go. You recognize that God's way may not be what you want, or what you think you need at this particular moment.

It's even worse when you're in a slump or a long streak where it seems like everything's going wrong. Maybe you haven't faced a really bad slump or one of those long lean streaks in your business but I have. They're tough. They're especially tough if you're doing everything you can to work your way through it, and you're asking for God's help, but everything keeps going wrong anyway.

When I've found myself in those situations, I've found myself saying that I trust in God, but really meaning I'll trust God as long as He straighten things out the way I want them to be. But what if that's not God's Will? It hard to accept this, but guess what? It just may be that He's behind it all. And if He is, it's for a good reason. Here's a little poem that captures what I'm trying to say.

Perfect Trust

“Oh, for the peace of a perfect trust,
My loving God, in Thee;
Unwavering faith, that never doubts
Thou choosest best for me.
Best, though my plans be all upset;
Best, though the way be rough;
Best, though my earthly store be scant;
In Thee I have enough.
Best, though my health and strength be gone,
Though weary days be mine,
Shut out from much that others have;
Not my will, Lord, but Thine.
And e’en though disappointments come,
They too are best for me;
To wean me from this changing world,
And lead me nearer Thee.
Oh, for the peace of a perfect trust
That looks away from all;
That sees Thy hand in everything,
In great events and small;
That hears Thy voice – a Father’s voice –
Directing for the best,
Oh, for the peace of a perfect trust,
A heart with Thee at rest.”
(Author unknown)


(By the way, maybe this poem provides a good example of what I was talking about last time - about living "up there" no matter what's going on "down here.") 

Comments

Popular Posts