More Slow Time at Work

We've been talking about how these couple of weeks before Labor Day tend to be slower at work. Pressure's turned down a bit; it just feels lighter. Meanwhile, my schedule actually filled up quite a bit in spite of that, but even so, it's not as intense as a it usually is.

So were you more thankful to our loving Heavenly Father for all He's given you, for all He's done for you - even you who might be working in less than optimal conditions, or working at a job you really don't like much? I hope so. The mere exercise of thanking Him, and thinking of your blessings should further lighten your load.

But let's take another step today. I'm thinking this less intense day should leave more openings, more room, to think about God throughout the day. It's something I know I should do normally, but sadly don't all the time. Too many days slip by where I've hardly given my Father a single thought that lasts more than about a second and a half. But today should be different. Without the hot and heavy pressures and demands, I just know the opportunities for acknowledging, even talking a bit to God are just lying out there. It's time to take advantage of these slower days and spend a few more moments with Him.

And the thing is, spending those moments - I just know it - will wind up helping me to get my work done faster and better. The thing is He knows what I've got to do and is more than happy to lend a hand. It's not that He's a distraction.

So maybe, just maybe, I'll remember this when things get really busy again. Thinking about God, praying to Him, even talking to Him briefly, isn't a distraction. He knows what I've got to get done, and He'll freshen up my spirit, and therefore my mind and body. I'll be able to tackle my work with renewed vigor. It's happened before. So why don't I ever learn my lesson and stick with Him during the day? Why do days go by without my paying more than a second and half's worth of attention to God?

I could guess that it's some combination of laziness, lack of discipline, a tendency to prefer sensual things (concupiscence) selfishness, pride - hey, this list is growing the more I think about it. But what if I just forget all that and turn to Him - loving Father - and beg his forgiveness and ask His help. Wouldn't He just forgive and help me if I asked sincerely?

When I think about this, I wonder whether I really, REALLY, desire God at all. By desire God, I mean desire to be closer to Him. Could it be that when push comes to shove I don't really desire God all that much. Am I too attached to a lot of things in this world - some of them silly, some of them sinful - and that's what's keeping me at a distance? And all this time, I've been thinking that I'm so darn busy at work that I "don't have time" for God during the day.

DON'T HAVE TIME FOR GOD?!!!

Can that really be true? Just looking at those five words, I've got to believe that's not possible. Heck, I make time in the morning for my norms of piety (prayer, meditation, reading Scripture, doctrinal and spiritual reading) - at least most mornings. There's just no way I can't make time during the day for God, even on the busiest days.

So it can't be the busy-ness of the day as much as my not really desiring to be close to God - meaning REALLY desiring to be close. It must be that I do my morning prayers, reading, and meditation and somehow feel like there, it's done. I've given Him about all I'm going to give for this day, at least until I say my night prayers. But isn't that kind of putting Him in His "place"?

You know, if things weren't slowing down I wouldn't have the time to think about all this. And the more I think about it, the more I wish I were really intensely busy right now. The truth is starting to become uncomfortable.

But, as always, God, Creator and Master of time, uses His Creation to open our hearts and minds to His Presence. He gives us every opportunity to understand how much He loves us, how He desires us to love Him. He gives us every possible opportunity, even as we keep pushing Him away.

When things get busy again, will I remember all this? One thing I know is that if I rely strictly on myself, I probably won't. I'll probably slip into old habits. I'll probably keep my preferences just where they are now - in this world and mostly away from God. But maybe if I ask Him for the grace I need to change, I will change. Maybe the actual grace He alone can give me will help me to desire to love Him as much as He loves me - even during the busiest days at work.

Comments

Popular Posts