How to Increase Your Virtues at Work with Psalm 101

We recently discussed ethical failings in the workplace. We've seen how the Dictatorship of Relativism (as our Holy Father has called the dominance of relativism in the modern world) lies at the root of the problem.

We focused on "honesty" and "integrity" to illustrate the problem, and I made the suggestion that we Catholics need to live our faith in the midst of this oppressive dictatorship. But now I come across Psalm 101 and I want to share with you what it says.

(By the way, this was totally unplanned. I just came across 101 during my normal daily Scripture reading, but if you also read Scripture regularly on your own, you may have found that you'll come across passages that directly address things you're thinking about or problems you're facing. I think God has something to do with this rather remarkable phenomenon, right?)

I'm going to reference the Revised Standard Edition of the Bible. The translation speaks a bit more clearly (at least for me) of what we've been discussing than, let's say, the Douay version (which I like a lot too). Oh, and remember, these are just my own personal thoughts based on what we've been discussing. I'm no scripture scholar and don't claim to have any special insight into the meaning of the Psalm. (In fact, if anyone wants to weigh in on this, please feel free to leave a comment.)  

My focus will be on us Catholics living in a world ruled by the Dictatorship of Relativism. How do we live and work in such a world?
 
And so we start with the first verse of Psalm 101:

I will sing of loyalty and justice; to thee, O Lord I will sing.

Now there's a simple, direct and effective way to start our days, don't you think. I'm probably not going to be singing early in the morning, since I get up before everyone else in the house. But if you say a "Morning Offering" as soon as you wake up, you'll get on track right away. In case you don't know a version of the Morning Offering (there are many), you can click HERE for a simple version. Can you see how you express your loyalty by uniting yourself right away to Jesus and the intentions of His Sacred Heart, and how the virtue of justice is expressed by praying in reparation for your sins?
  
I will give heed to the way that is blameless. Oh, when wilt thou come to me? I will walk with integrity of heart within my house.

The way that is blameless is God's way - following his law, you know, like the Ten Commandments, without fail. And knowing you need his help, you ask - RIGHT AWAY - "when wilt thou come to me?"

"Integrity of heart"  means for me that we  know the natural law: what's true and false, good and bad, beautiful and ugly - and live our lives consistently in accord with the True, the Good and the Beautiful. So, for example, when you go to work, you probably work in a totally secular environment. You may work with people of other faiths, or people who have no faith at all. And surely the pressures of performing on the job sometimes tempt us to cut corners when it comes to speaking truthfully or always doing what's right.

On top of that, as we've discussed, we live in the age of the Dictatorship of Relativism, so most people don't really have properly formed consciences and therefore don't really know right from wrong. They only know "what's right for me" or "what's seems good to me" which usually comes down to "what feels right or good to me." Sad, isn't it.? But the good news here is that, really, in their heart of hearts, they do know right and wrong, good and bad, beautiful and ugly. That's because the "natural law" is burned into the hearts of all men and women.

So my take away is that by consistently giving good example in my words and actions, I may be able - even in some small way - to awaken the right understanding of the True, the Good and the Beautiful in people. Of course, I've got to see to it that my own conscience is properly formed, but that's part of what being Catholic is all about, isn't it?

I"l have more to say about all this next time...


Comments

Popular Posts