How the Psalms Prepare Us for Work

Some Psalms talk about sin - the sins we commit or have committed. Speaking to God, the author (David) acknowledges his sins and begs for mercy. Sometimes the author includes comments about his being either surrounded by or the object of derision of his enemies as well. Psalm 69 is a good example.

We know that David committed the sin of adultery with Bathsheba. As a result, Bathsheba became pregnant. We know that because of that sin, he sent Bathsheba's husband, Uriah, into battle so that he would be killed, which he was. David paid for these terrible sins. One way he paid was through the actions of his enemies. All of this is captured in some of the Psalms.

Each morning I read one Psalm as part of my daily Scriptural reading. When I used to run into the Psalms where David begged God's protection from his enemies, even to the point of asking for God's power to smite his enemies, I wondered how this might apply to me. I don't have the sort of enemies David had (at least I don't think I do!). Not that there aren't people with whom I don't get along, or those who don't think I'm such a great guy. I'm just not surrounded by enemies the way David was at times in his life.

But recently, when I read Psalm 69, it finally dawned on me how this Psalm and others like it apply to my life, even how they can help me during the day's work that lies before me. The connections that occurred to me have to do with being a member of the Mystical Body of Christ, and the struggle that all of us face in trying to live our lives as know we should.

Like David, I'm a sinner. No great insight there. But what struck me was the connection between being a sinner and being surrounded by enemies. Bad things happen when you sin. In spite of our tendency to think some particular sin or sins aren't that big a deal, they inevitably are.

Recently, I had some really unpleasant exchanges with colleagues. It got to the point where the comments they made and actions they took seemed to be those of enemies. (Again, nothing like what David experienced, but for me a bit jolting.) Their comments and actions reflected a view that implied that the work I had done wasn't good work. They seemed to question my honesty and integrity. At times, one of them spoke to me disrespectfully. They were wrong, but it was disturbing to be treated this way.

For a while, this caused me no end of troubling thoughts and feelings. I was upset by being treated in this unfair manner. I lost sleep. My other work suffered as my thoughts would stray to the conflict that had bubbled up between me and these colleagues. It was a real problem.

But when you read Scripture each day, and you keep an open mind and heart, and you "listen" for the quiet whispers of the Holy Spirit, every once in a while you get an answer, or some special insight. You find consolation and maybe even a spot of wisdom. And so my reading helped me through this period of distress.

First, as a sinner, I could easily recognize how I deserved to suffer from the actions and words of others even when they were unjust. So I offered up my meager suffering for the sake of others who might be suffering much worse than I, and for the suffering souls in Purgatory.

Second, it dawned on me that we Catholics, when we behave as we should - as Catholics - will be, no, will always be, subject to persecution by those who dislike, even hate the Church. We are a people who, simply because we are Catholic, will be the target of enemies, just as David was.

Finally, I realized that as a Catholic, I am a part of the Mystical Body of Christ - His Church. And as a part of His Body, I am connected to David in a direct manner, for he too is part of that Body. He is part of the Church Triumphant, those saints in Heaven who pray for and intercede for us.

And so my reading of Psalm 69 and Psalms that refer to David's struggles against his enemies are now not odd sorts of prayers that are specific to David's sins and circumstances. They directly concern me, as a member of the Body of Christ. David, my forefather, suffered regret for his sins, along with fear and anxiety over the attacks of his enemies centuries ago. But I am connected to him in his suffering and anxiety as a member of the Mystical Body of Christ. And now that he is in Heaven (I think I'm right in that assumption, maybe not), he prays for me, for all of us in our suffering and anxiety.

Now it's time to get to work. I'm so blessed to be able to spend a few minutes each morning reading Scripture. I'm so grateful to God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, for these words of Scripture that help me face each new day refreshed, enlightened, strengthened for the struggle that awaits me on this new day.    

Comments

Popular Posts