Don't Let Work Consume You

It happens almost every work day. After a few moments of prayer, my work washes over me. It consumes me. Thoughts of God fade into the distance. Some days pass without another thought for Father, Son or Holy Spirit. In a flash the day ends and I tear myself away to go home, to meet my family again, to shake off the residue of the busy work day and devote my body, mind and soul to home and all that awaits me there.

Why should work consume me so? What's going on in that office, at that desk, on that laptop screen where I spend so many hours? What's so important about my reading, writing, thinking, talking, meeting, strategizing, implementing - all that work that I do alone and with others? Frankly, it's not always easy to answer that question, especially when I look at how many hours this work of mine took me away, so far away, from my God who loves me and looks after me, Who is always there to help me in every way - me, meanwhile, hardly giving Him a passing thought because of this oh-so-important work of mine.

Maybe I've given this work too exalted a place in my life. I've even convinced myself that the world is a better place because of this work of mine. Who knows? Maybe it is. Then again, I'm no Steve Jobs whose death leaves a monument called "Apple" that continues beyond the grave. My best guess is that my "monument" - if we're talking about my work - will be a little toothpick stuck in the ground, crushed under the first shoe that passes by and presses it into the earth, never to be seen or even thought about again.

But none of that really matters. I'll get up and go to work tomorrow anyway. I'll put my all into my work in spite of the reality of my work's place "in the world." I'll do it because my work's place in the world isn't what matters.

You knew that, right? So do I. But I forget - all too often. I forget the simple lessons I read almost every morning. They're right there in the Bible, in my spiritual reading, in my doctrinal study. Just this morning I read in Proverbs 21:21:

He who pursues righteousness and kindness
will find life and honor.

I've never read anywhere, any morning, that he who builds his professional reputation, or wins a sales contest, or invents the next "life-changing" technology will find life and honor.

Will any of this sink in today? Will my thoughts, word and deeds find discrete moments for God? Will I say the Holy Name "Jesus" at the first inkling of anxiety about getting that project done on time. Will I turn my work over to the Creator who made everything and give Him the glory, or will I selfishly keep it to myself and look to reap the rewards of money, promotion, reputation, career advancement?

I can only hope and pray. Jesus, help me.

Comments

Popular Posts