Are There Any Catholics Where You Work?

Do you talk about your faith at work? I hardly do. The subject doesn't come up. I've thought it inappropriate to just talk about my being Catholic to other people on the job.

On the other hand, when the occasions calls for it, I've brought up the fact that I'm Catholic. For example, in recent years, every once in a while, the issue of priests who violated celibacy and chastity has come up. When confronted with this, I've taken the opportunity to comment. If the person I'm speaking with isn't Catholic, I tell them I am. But that's about the extent of my talking about my being Catholics.

What about other Catholics at work. Are there any where you work? I've worked in large companies where there were many other Catholics. Sometimes I've had the occasion to talk to them and the conversation occasionally turns to our faith. Too often, I find out they really don't practice their faith, or if they do they mostly pick and chose what they believe or don't believe, regardless of what the Church teaches.

On rare occasions, you meet a Catholic who does practice his or her faith. It's refreshing - but for me it's been rare.

There was a time when the lack of Catholics at work and the lack of faith among Catholics at work felt kind of oppressive. This happened to me especially when my faith began to grow and strengthen - after some years of neglect. I was all "fired up" and could just feel the lukewarmness of my fellow Catholics, never mind the antagonistic attitude of many of the non-Catholics. I got uncomfortably close to feeling superior to "them." Fortunately, after much prayer, that phase passed.

But I still feel stifled, and occasionally oppressed, by the secularization of our world. Being someone of faith is considered at best irrelevant, at worst a bad thing. For a period I thought it was sad and somewhat disturbing, this prevailing secular culture. Now, sometimes, I think it's dangerous for us Catholics. Right now, for example, the government is trying to tell us that we have to promote and pay for contraception in the workplace. The government is using its raw power to tell us what to do. Some say that this is only the beginning of pushing us around, of letting Catholics know that, while they may be tolerated for now, they're not welcome to express the Faith, to live the Faith, and - heaven forbid - to suggest that others consider become Catholics and live the Faith too.

But because I spend some time reading Scripture and studying my Faith, I find that our situation today isn't unique. Psalm 12, for example, begins:

Help, Lord; for there is no longer any that is godly;
for the faithful have vanished from among the sons of men.

Our current secular culture is trying to push out our Catholicism. It's trying to marginalize us Catholics. From my reading, I've learned that the godless among us have always been there and at times have tried to  push out those who believe in God. And, let's face it, Catholics really are the prize in this effort. After all, we have always been and will always be the ones faithful to Christ and His Church. No offense to my Jewish or Protestant friends, but the fullness of Truth lies in the Church of Rome. And if you're paying attention to just how often Catholics have been targeted by our secular culture, you know that everyone knows it. Otherwise why would they focus so intently on Catholics?

They know that we have the fullness of Truth. And because they have rejected Truth, they can't stand having us around. Or at least, they can't stand having us publicly live our faith. I pray these words that end Psalm 12:

Do though, O Lord, protect us,
guard us ever from this generation.
On every side the wicked prowl, 
as vileness is exalted among the sons of men. 

Comments

Popular Posts