God Sees Your Work

Have you ever been subjected to an "observer" at work? I have. Observers range from interns assigned to watch and learn to consultants whose ultimate aim (everyone knows) is to create "efficiency" - which very well could mean you lose your job.

I never cared for observers. I don't like someone looking over my shoulder while I work. Maybe you don't mind that sort of thing; I do. I feel self-conscious and don't really do my work freely and, frankly, very well, with someone watching what I do.

But it occurred to me that God is somewhat like an observer. He's always there watching - actually watching your every move. I'm not saying this to make you self-conscious. But that's the way it is.

Oh, you know this, right. He really does see everything. And thinking about God watching us at work isn't as bad as, let's say, talking about how God sees us when we sin (assuming your work isn't sinful, of course!). When we sin, we want to hide from God. Sure, it's dumb to think that. We know it's dumb, but I, for one, have thought this at times - thought that somehow I could hide from God. (Just read Genesis, when Adam and Eve ate the apple, and you'll see where we all got that dumb idea.)

But God watching me at work is a different story. Does he judge my work? I suppose. If I'm being lazy or not putting in a good effort at some task that I know has to get done but that just doesn't excite me, I suppose He's watching me do my work poorly. And maybe that can be a daunting thought.

On the other hand, maybe it's not so bad. Maybe it's good for us to meditate on this and be aware of God watching us at work. Maybe the way to think about this is that when we're not doing our best, and we remember He's watching, we can ask for His help. You do know He wants to help, don't you? You do know that He loves us and wants us to spend eternity in Heaven with Him, so why wouldn't He help you when you're having trouble doing your best at work?

And it gets even better. When an important decision needs to be made, and you know He's watching, you can turn to Him and ask for His help in making the best decision. I do this sometimes (not often enough) when I have a difficult decision. I go through all the ins and out, the good and bad, in my mind, or, better still, I write all that down and then pray for His guidance.

When I do that, I'm sort of "calling" Him. Sure, I know He'll help, even though I don't always "hear" or "feel" what He's telling me. But what I'm talking about here is different than "calling" Him. See, if we develop the sense, the understanding, that He's always watching, always there, we don't really have to call. And that means He can help us even when we have to make a quick decision, or when we're feeling under the gun to get something done, or when anxiety sets in at times because we've got a tough assignment that's requiring us to "stretch" our skills and talents to the limit.

A lot of our decisions don't give us time to carefully consider all the ins and outs; anxiety can set in not only because we're pressed for time, but also when we just don't have the energy to get a task done, even though that deadline is lurking; sometimes we have to tackle something that - at least at first - seems out of our league. All those things happen and can come on us quickly - maybe it feels like they come on us too quickly at times.

But He's there watching. And if we know He's always there, we know we can always - every minute of every working hour - ask for His help, even if all we say is something like "Jesus, help!" (This doesn't have to be a long, complicated, profound sort of prayer, after all.)

So especially during these days of Lent, I'm going to try to remember that God always watches me at work - all the time, no breaks. And that He's always there to help me, no matter what I have to do. I don't even have to call Him. He's right there.


Comments

Popular Posts