A Way to Pause and Pray at Work

I don't know about you, but my work day usually starts early and ends late. It moves along with an ebb and flow that sometimes finds me looking for a break and a "pick-me-up" - my usual choice being a cup of coffee.Not that there's anything wrong with coffee, but I'm thinking that I can find a better way to fill in those dips. I'm thinking that those dips could be a good chance to pause and pray. I'm thinking about it because I'm typically not doing that. I'm typically not doing that because I think about myself most of the time at work and not about God: what I have to do, how much time I have to do it, how I feel at the moment, who I have to contact right now, where I have to be at such-and-such a time. I-I-I-I-I!

So maybe those dips during the day could be put to better use. Maybe they're God's way to get me out of my "I" focus for a moment. Maybe He's slowing me down just for a bit so that I can pause and pray. See, He's taking the initiative, giving me a little window of time to remember Him. He knows I'm too weak-willed and weak-minded to figure all this out, so He creates that little dip to stop me from constantly charging ahead and paying Him no mind.

Earlier I mentioned simply saying "Jesus" from time to time during the day. Wouldn't this be the ideal moment - you know, during these dips - to say "Jesus"? I could still get my cup of coffee, but only after I say His Holy Name. Who knows, maybe if I say "Jesus" I'll even think about Him a bit while I'm getting that coffee. And you know what? That would take my mind off me and put it on Him.

Well, it's all very nice to be thinking about all this. Will I do it? We'll see.

One thing I know. God will give me the grace to do it, if I ask Him sincerely. So here goes:

Lord, help me to think about You throughout my workday. You know how self-centered I am, and how weak my spiritual life is, so maybe You could help me especially to say the Holy Name of Jesus from time to time - like during those little dips in the middle of my work day where I pause and try to refresh my energy.


And now that I think about it, maybe You could be that energy, You know, instead of the coffee. Not that I shouldn't have a cup from time to time; it's just that with You as my refreshment I won't always look for that caffeine "jolt"; I'll look for You.


Anyway, Lord, if You could just help me to pause and pray from time to time I know I'll grow closer to You.

Comments

Popular Posts