Starting the Day Right

Following up on yesterday's post, it's important to start the day off right. Many of us already do, so keep it up. Don't think that you need to develop some sort of special "crisis" morning routine just because we're living through this economic and financial crisis. Now isn't the time to give up your spiritual discipline. If anything, it's time to increase it. Here are some humble suggestions on starting the day.

You wake up and the day begins. By now, you should know that your morning "routine" should include more than just grooming, maybe some coffee and breakfast, then flying out the door. Exercise? Sure, but there's more, remember? Ora et labora: prayer and work. Don't forget to pray.

Oh, you said your Morning Offering? Great. But there's more. Don't forget to read some Scripture: at least the New Testament, the Old too if you can. You only need about 10 or 15 minutes for this. Then some spiritual reading - another 15 minutes. If possible, some "quiet time" - meditation. It's just 45 minutes every morning, but it makes all the difference.

Okay, so you know all that, plus you're already back into your routine. I am, but I remembered something else and wanted to share it with you, this being the New Year and all. The thing is, don't just say it - you know, to sort of "get it out of the way."

I hope you don't do this, but I did for years. Maybe it was better than nothing, but my morning routine was something I did in a, well, routine way. I felt all self-satisfied when I got through it every morning. Sure, I was disciplined. But notice how it was all self-focused: I got it done. I even sort of gauged how much I read. For example, I know I've been through the whole Bible at least three times. But did I grow in holiness? It's debatable. I was more focused on what I got done, not on God.

What I'm trying to say is that the reading and praying and meditating are to get closer to God - to grow in holiness. It's so that you become a saint. It's not to score points with God.

So don't rush. Don't "get through it." Don't worry about how much you read, or even how much time you spend. Maybe you should read a little less, or a little more slowly. Maybe - for you - 5 minutes of real attention would be better than 10 or 15 minutes.

It's about growing closer to God, not what you "accomplish."

Remember the Psalm passage I quoted yesterday? I came across it in my morning reading of Scripture. The point is that with a solid morning routine, you'll start the day close to God. After that, with God close by, you can face the day's challenges in the right spirit. You'll much more naturally know to hope in Him.

Comments

Popular Posts