Saturday is Our Lady's Day


Here’s little meditation for this holiday weekend.
Many of us are off from work Monday. If you are, then I hope this time off brings you rest and relaxation from your toil, along with the blessing of “extra” time to spend with family and friends. Don’t forget God. He deserves a little extra time too. More importantly, He wants to spend a little extra time with you because He loves you.
The Church dedicates Saturdays to the Blessed Virgin Mary. To remember this increases our devotion to Our Lady. Just saying “the Blessed Virgin Mary” and “Our Lady” somehow warms my heart and inclines my soul to her, she who is my Mother.
Yes, here on this cold winter’s morning, with the occasional sound of gusting wind reminding me of the bitterness that winter brings (most especially for me in these days after Christmas when a bit of sadness always finds its way into my heart and mind), it is such a comfort to think of my Mother Mary. The joy of Christmas returns as I remember how she brought Our Lord to all of us: “Behold the handmaid of the Lord, be it done unto me according to thy word.” In that moment, with those few words from a modest young woman over two thousand years ago, the world changed forever. By the power of the Holy Spirit, God became man. Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, was in that moment, incarnate, God and man, nestled in the womb of His Mother, our Mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Lady.
That post-Christmas sadness dissipates now, as I think of her, as I repeat those glorious titles, Our Blessed Mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Lady, and remember all she did for us on that day when she said “Yes” to the Angel Gabriel, and all she does for me today.
I hope this Saturday of your holiday weekend finds you home, safe and sound, in the warm folds of the love of Our Lady.

Comments

Popular Posts