The Holy Names Belong In Your Workday

Grace comes from God. We sends us the grace we need to live a good life. Okay, we all know that.

What about during the workday? Well, of course God gives us the grace we need to lead a good life during our workday. The thing is, if you're like me, a whole workday can go by without a single thought about God.

I hope you're not like me, but on the outside chance you are, here are a few suggestions for getting God back into the flow of the work day. These came to me when I was reading my last post. (Yes, I eat my own cooking!)

Based on that post, it occurred to me that the name of Jesus and the name of Mary would be good, simple ways to bring God into my work day. All you have to do is say "Jesus" and say "Mary." That's it. Not that you just stop there, but it's a start. Couldn't be simpler, could it?

So today, I'm going to do just that: Jesus...Mary. I hope to do more than that. But the Holy Name of Jesus and the Holy Name of Mary are traditional objects of prayer and piety going back centuries. And, really, they're just perfect for us Catholic men at work - especially when we're in the midst of one of those super-busy, all-consuming days that come up.

And don't think I'm taking the easy way out here. You know that Our Lord Himself pointed out that we don't have to pray with many words. And, besides, when I say the names of Jesus and Mary I'm praying - and frankly praying a lot more effectively than a lot of the kind of "wordy" prayers I make up sometimes.

So that's what I'll do today, tomorrow, and (I hope) everyday after that: speak/pray the names of Jesus and Mary not matter how busy or "tied up" I am with my work.

My final thought here is this: if I develop the habit of saying the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary - maybe even saying them frequently (I hope) even during those busy workdays, I'll be more aware that God will provide the grace I need to live a good life, even in the midst of a busy workday. And eventually I'll find that I'm more patient with others, even as I'm more diligent in getting my work done, rather than giving in to impatience or (occasionally) anger.

Hey, maybe I'll find that I'm more charitable to everyone no matter how busy or pressed I am. Maybe. At least I can hope for that.


Comments

Popular Posts