You Don't Have to Get "Worked Up" at Work

Sometimes I get all "worked up" during my work day. It usually happens when I'm frantically trying to finish a project with a deadline. Meeting the deadline is always a relief. But sometimes the quality of my work suffers when I work this way. I've met people who seem to be able to work calmly and steadily all the time. I've just never been one of them.

Question: How do I wind up in this dilemma, and what can I do about it? First, here's how I wind up in this dilemma.

Even though meeting a deadline is important, sometimes the whole reason I'm up against it is that I've let things go until the last minute. I didn't have to wait until the last minute, but I did. Maybe I was lazy; maybe I just couldn't focus on the project until I saw that deadline sitting right there in front of me.

There are even times when I'll leave something to the last minute with the belief that by facing a deadline, I'll be "forced" to get the work done. That's usually when a particular project involves work that I'm not all that interested or excited about. Or sometimes it's when I have to do something I don't really feel confident about.

So here's a pretty good suggestion I ran across recently during my morning spiritual reading. The writer (Fr. Joseph Schryvers) was discussing renouncing self as means love God. He recommends an attitude of "detachment." Here's what you need to do:

Live in the present moment only; occupy yourself entirely in fulfilling your duties calmly, without eagerness and without loitering; but during your occupations, be on watch for occasions to give pleasure to Jesus, Who works prays and lives in you. When the opportunity of making a little sacrifice arises, such as mortification of the taste, of an inclination, of a whim, of self-will, of judgment, or of curiosity - seize the occasion with eagerness, then quietly continue on your way.

Well, of course this wasn't intended as advice to address exactly what I started talking about. But it really will prove helpful, don't you think? If you can develop this consistent habit of always fulfilling your duties - at work, or any other duties of course - and do so calmly, my guess is those last minute things will be rare. And by going about your business neither eagerly nor lazily, you learn to just do your business without all the getting worked up. And since getting worked up can just as easily cause you to make mistakes as it can help you meet that deadline, your work will naturally improve in quality. Meanwhile, your attitude allows you to attend to thoughts of Jesus more often during the day.

And it all seems to flow so naturally, as I think about it.

I'm going to give this way of working and fulfilling my other duties a try. Maybe it will help you too.

Comments

Popular Posts