When Financial Turmoil Distracts You From Your Work

Financial turmoil reigns! And it's easy to get distracted from everyday work. But we shouldn't let that happen, right?

In my own case, I'm in the financial services business and I still don't want to get totally distracted by the markets and all the spin and rumors that fly around at times like this. The thing is, I've still got my daily tasks and I've still got work I've committed to get done for certain people - including the research project I'm in the middle of right now that needs my time.

Then again, I'm lucky right now. I spend a good chunk of my time these days working alone - and that frequently means without distraction. Had I still been working in a large office, surrounded by other professionals, a lot of time would have been taken with a lot of chatter - really a lot of speculation about why markets were going this way or that way, along with everyone's opinion about where they'll be heading now.

Frankly, it's a lot of hot air, for the most part. The thing is, you really can't know these things with any certainty, so why spend a lot of time thinking about them?

So just get back to your work. Let markets do what they do - which right now is confuse and even frighten a lot of people. Look at it this way. The storm hit; if you prepared, you're safer than if you didn't; if you didn't prepare, there's not much you can do right at the moment.

You're better off putting your mind on your work. If you do, you'll be a lot more productive than if you get distracted or let yourself give in to any anxieties this type of stuff might cause.

Plus, it's really a good time to work on your trust. Times like these - if you find them trying - help us to discipline our minds and feelings. And, as Catholics, they should find us praying a bit more than usual - simply telling Our Lord that we trust in Him and continue with our resolve to do His Will no matter what the world brings.

So there are two things for us to do: pray and work. In Latin: ora et labora.

Just get down to your work and pray to Our Lord when you feel distracted. Tell Him You trust only in Him. You're not going to let distraction and anxiety keep you from doing the best job you can - in spite of all the financial turmoil out there.

It's really a good opportunity to test your discipline, to improve your spiritual life. You just go about your work. And as for the rest of the world, let Jesus do the heavy lifting. It's not really your concern now, is it?

Financial turmoil? What financial turmoil?

Comments

Popular Posts