Avoiding Work Distractions

I know what I need to do today. I may not be all that enthusiastic about it, but I know what needs to be done.

So I go about my business. Time to check e-mail: there's another of my friends comments about today's political situation. I'll need to ignore it for now. In fact, I shouldn't have been checking my personal e-mails right then. What was I thinking?

Ah, it was relief from that unpleasant task. So I check personal e-mail - just for a minute, to be sure - and there's my friend's e-mail. So many times before, I put off opening his e-mails during work time. But this time, what the heck. I need to take a break. This task makes me feel anxious. I'm tired from that extra long day at work yesterday. So I read it.

Yes, it's about important stuff! As always, the subject hits home. Biden's comment to the Chinese about how he "understands" their "one-child" policy. How could this man, who calls himself Catholic, say such things! Yes, this man should be ashamed. My friend is outraged. Now I'm outraged. I write back a comment agreeing with the outrage.

But what about my work. It's been almost a half hour since I first peeked at my personal e-mail. That task needs to be done. I've committed myself to a deadline. Now what? Back to work, I suppose. But I'm behind now. Why? I let myself be distracted. And for what? To grouse with my friend about people who consistently do things that get him (and sometimes me) upset.

Meanwhile, my work suffers. It will take some time to settle down and concentrate. Now it's maybe 45 minutes away from what I should have been doing.

And all because I peeked at personal e-mails when I should have been working.

Comments

Popular Posts