To Do and Not To Do, Part 2

Continuing from our last post, here are the 3 items from The Rule of St Benedict I focused on. I'm simply using them as an example of how practical a guide The Rule can be even for those of us who aren't monks. (In fact, The Rule has been used by businesses and consultants to help improve business organizations; so Catholic men at work can get good tips on how to work better.)

Not To Seek After Pleasures

I picked this as the first item to focus on today for a couple of reasons. First, I have this tendency to seek pleasure. Maybe you don't, but I do. It manifests itself in (fortunately) small ways throughout the day. But just because I'm not running around committing mortal sins all day doesn't mean this tendency doesn't need to be held in check.

Second, a hard days work - especially when it's successful - makes me think about how I'm going to "reward" myself. Now, I'm not saying this is so bad. In fact, lots of "success" and "personal development" literature recommend that you give yourself a "reward" after a hard day at work. (Yes, I've read more than my share of this sort of stuff!) But the thing is, this easily degenerates into a kind of "pleasure-seeking" mentality.

So for today, I'm going to ask God for the grace to not dwell on those little pleasures and rewards. Heck, I've got enough to do at work today to keep my mind occupied. And when I get home, instead of heading for that drink or the TV, how about I focus on my wife and kids and any items that need my attention.

To Bury the Dead

My cousin's son was killed in a traffic accident. I haven't seen much of my cousin since we all grew up. And the drive will probably be long, since I'll inevitably get stuck in heavy city traffic. But I've got sons, and I can only imagine what my poor cousin's feeling like. So I'll take off early from work and go to the wake - even though I've really got a ton of stuff to get through today.

To Console the Sorrowful

But I don't want to just go to the wake out of obligation. Even though my cousin and I don't see a lot of each other, and though we're not close, just showing up will probably be some consolation. I might even think about contacting her after the funeral, just to check up on her and how she's doing. My guess is I won't do this; I'll forget. But it would be a good thing to do.

Well, the point of all this is simply to give a few examples of applying what I've been reading in The Rule of St Benedict. And you know what, that wasn't so hard. I didn't have to do everything on the list. I just picked a few items that stood out and that I knew I could take action on today.

So, since this was kind of fun so far, I think I'll keep going with the next items on the list St Benedict wrote out way back in the 5th century. More next post...

Comments

Popular Posts