A Little May Prayer to Mary

Dear Blessed Mother,

I think I've forgotten all about you this month - your month. I'm sorry; it's really embarrassing. I don't know what's gotten into me this year. Should I tell you it's just been really busy at work and at home? That's true, but, really, it's not a very good excuse, is it?

Usually, I look forward to May and special devotions to you, even if it's only saying my rosary more fervently, with more attention. But somehow this year, I haven't done much that's all that special. I mean, I've been saying my rosary more fervently anyway, so I guess I feel like I can't improve things much there. (Of course, I probably can; it's just that I'm thinking I'm saying my rosary better now.)

Oh, right, there was that May pilgrimage I just did with a friend. That's where we walk around and recite three rosaries together. We started with the Joyful mysteries; then we recited the Sorrowful mysteries in front of your image in a local church; finally, we finished up with the Luminous mysteries, again walking around town.

You know, now that I think about it, this is maybe the fifth year I've performed this pilgrimage - all with the same friend. He's the one who told me about it. And you know this year was the best ever. I was less self-conscious about walking around saying the rosary with people around. (Of course, you don't shout out the prayers, you just sort of say them quietly, one person saying the first part, the other answering, like you do in any public recitation of the rosary where you have a leader.)

As I was saying, for some reason this year was really the first time I didn't worry about what people might think if they overheard us. (Not that they would, in all probability. Being in Manhattan, there's just lots of people around rushing here and there pretty much minding their own business.) And feeling "free" like that really did make the pilgrimage the best ever.

Oh, also, when we stopped into that church for the middle rosary (the Sorrowful mysteries), a group was reciting the Sorrowful mysteries in church (it was a Tuesday), so we kind of tagged along. And that was pretty special too, that coincidence.

So I guess I have done at least one special thing. But, you see, I know how much you do for me and my family. I know that we have a loving Mother to watch over us all - even in the smallest things.(For example, lately it seems you're really good at helping me find a parking space when I have to drive in the city.) So with all that you do for me, I feel like I'm just not doing all that much for you.

Of course, it was like that with my natural mother, when she was still here on earth. She was always doing something for me and for my family. And, try as I might, I never seemed to be able to do anything that felt all that special for her. Oh, she was always thanking me for the smallest things I might do, but, really, it wasn't that much compared to all she did for me.

Well, maybe it's like that with you, Blessed Mother. Maybe, just like the mother that bore me, you just do things for us and we'll never really be able to do anything for you - or at least anything to compare for all you do for us.

Now I'm not saying this to excuse myself here. And I don't want to get complacent or anything. But maybe that's just the way God designed things. You really are my Mother. And I'm your grateful son, who, at the end of the day, just wants to say "Thank you" in some special way.

So "Thank you," Blessed Mother, for all you do for me. And special thanks to you during this, your special month.

Oh, did I tell? My mother's name was Mary too. Ah, but you knew that already.

Comments

Popular Posts