Working My Way To Jerusalem

Our Lord's public life ended with his journey to Jerusalem. It's one of the things we focus on during Lent. Step by step, mile by mile, He works His way towards His goal: our redemption. And we all know how He accomplished this: His Passion and Death.

Today I'm tackling a client project. It will take me some time. It's a detailed analysis that requires a fair amount of patience and persistence.

There's a connection here.

Our Lord worked his way to Jerusalem in spite of all the distractions and obstacles He faced. Pay attention to the gospels during Lent as we follow Our Lord's journey. You'll find lots of people needing His mercy, some (like the Scribes and Pharisees) demanding His time, constantly questioning Him. What does He do?

He doesn't ignore them. He continues to work miracles, to teach the Truth. He even answers the manipulative questions the Pharisees and Scribes ask Him. And He does it all with charity, gentleness, meekness, humility. Even the Pharisees and Scribes are baffled by the way He answers their manipulative questions.

Some of their questions are posed to trip Him up. As He gets closer to Jerusalem, though, they're looking to ensnare Him in some way so they can kill Him. He knows this. In the face of their subtle and not so subtle attacks, He remains calm, unafraid and answers the questions directly. It's quite amazing.

And it's even more amazing when you realize that He not only knows what they're up to, but He knows that in the end they will succeed. They will put Him to death - that is, after they humiliate and torture Him and try to totally discredit Him in front of all the people He's trying to help.

Yet He keeps at it. He keeps His eye on His prize: our redemption. He keeps taking that next step, calmly, bravely.

So here I am, thinking of all this and facing my project square on. All I've got to do is tackle it one step and a time. It's tough, but I'll ask Our Lord to grant me the patience and persistence to get the job done right and on time.

And, with His grace, I'll think of His journey to Jerusalem. I know it will help me to ignore any distractions and overcome any obstacles along the way.

Am I making too much of this work project - so small and insignificant as it is when I think of Our Lord's journey to Jerusalem? I don't think so. I'm just walking with Him in my own small way. I'm working my way to Jerusalem with Him during these days of Lent.

Yes, I know I'm just doing my job. But that's really the point. Most of us will work our way to heaven just doing our jobs and living our lives day to day. So it's just a way to bring Him with me, into my work, in a special way during these grace-filled days of Lent.

Gotta go now. It's time for me to walk with Our Lord and work my way to Jerusalem.

Comments

Popular Posts