Is Your Life as Easy as This?

Is your life this easy? I'm talking about the way the vast majority of us live here in America, or any "developed" country, even in spite of the economic and financial crisis that's descended on us these past few years.

The question popped up when I was just reading some thoughts by Father William Doyle. He was a Jesuit who lived from 1873 to 1917. And back then he observed, "...how pleasant and comfortable my life has always been – ever avoiding cold, hunger, hard work, disagreeable things, humiliations, etc."

When he wrote this, most people didn't have central heat, cars, indoor plumbing (or at least private bathrooms), refrigerators, air conditioning, cars that you drive to supermarkets where you can buy whatever food your heart desires, never mind the internet and all those electronic gadgets we rely on in our personal lives and our work. And it's all basically at our fingertips. We practically don't have to get out of bed some mornings!

While it does take a little effort - albeit it very little - to avoid material discomfort, Father Doyle goes beyond just the material world. He mentions "disagreeable things, humiliations, etc." I guess you could call something like "humiliations" a kind of spiritual discomfort. Whatever you call it, I know I spend inordinate amounts of time and effort to avoid humiliations when they come my way. And while we're at it, I don't like it when people ignore me, don't take my advice, speak rudely or inconsiderately - no, I just don't like it. I wouldn't ever admit that stuff like that "hurts" - even though it does. Basically, I get miffed.

But when I think about all this, it strikes me just how much I manage to avoid any unpleasantness. Some of it's just because of the world I live in; some is because I make sure unpleasant stuff doesn't get close to me, if at all possible.

Even my work, hard as it seems to me some days. really isn't all that hard. I'm not saying I don't work hard most days. But what do I really do? I stare at a computer screen, read, analyze, write, use other electronic gadgets. Heck, I've got to make an effort to get up every half hour or so so I don't get stuck in my chair and just freeze in place.

Well, maybe your life's harder than mine. Maybe you go out and do some sort of physical work. Not that I never do any physical work; I just don't do it for a living.

And maybe your life's hard just because you've got troubles: physical suffering, psychological problems, marital or other family relationship problems, financial difficulties. There's a lot that goes wrong in life.

Maybe your work is really difficult. You work for a nasty boss. Or you're stuck working with co-workers who are unprofessional, incompetent, impolite, or - for want of a better word - idiots.

All I know is that I've experienced a little of all the above, and still, when I think about it, life's not all that hard. (At least that's how it feels today; ask me tomorrow.)

Why do I bring all this up? Because when Our Lord came to live with us 2,000 years ago, His life wasn't all that easy. And even though He could have been born into an easier life, He chose to be born in a manger and live with a poor, working family. He pretty much chose hard, unpleasant and disagreeable circumstances in his life. Not that living with Our Lady and Saint Joseph was disagreeable. But, let's put it this way, he didn't surround himself with conveniences.

So the next time I'm unhappy, or things don't go my way, or someone slights me, or one of a million little annoyances creep up and grab my attention during the day, I'd be a lot better off to just offer it up. Maybe I'll even remember just how easy my life really is.

And if I'm really on my game, maybe I'll even thank God for sending me difficulties, if only so that I can live more like Our Lord, instead of looking for the easy way out.

Comments

Popular Posts