When Things Go Really Great at Work, Remember This...

Sometimes things will go really great at work. I just had a day where everything flowed, nothing slowed me down. Sure, problems came up, but it seemed like as fast as they popped up, a solution popped up to. It was like I didn't even have to think about it.

Heck, I even remembered my Guardian Angel, something I rarely do. I talked a bit to him, mostly telling him I was sorry I never talk to him, but thanked him for all his work (and I'm guessing I keep him pretty busy).

After work, a couple of our kids were home for the evening - it was a Friday - and my wife had gotten this really fine movie - "Bang the Drum Slowly" - out of the library. We all watched it together. (Get this movie and watch it if you've never seen it. It was Robert Di Niro's first starring role and a story of compassion that's Christian, without being overtly Christian - if you know what I mean.)

God sends days like this once in a while. They're so good, it's almost unreal. I've learned to just thank Him. It's kind of the opposite of those really difficult days at work, although I've learned to just thank Him for those too. I've finally figured out that He's got a plan, and the good days and bad days are all part of it. Plus, whatever He's up to, it's all because He loves me and wants me to spend eternity with Him.

Now, that's all easy to say when you have one of those days at work where it's all smooth sailing. It's easy to think these calm, happy thoughts, isn't it? So the next morning, when I was reading some of St Benedict's "Rule" (I try to read this as part of my morning reading before the day starts), St Benedict stepped up to the plate and reminded me of a few things - in case I was thinking that everything was just going to be hunky-dory for the rest of my life.

He was talking about "degrees of humility" - there's a section about this in The Rule - specifically the fourth degree of humility. It has to do with when monks are given hard or distasteful things to do. (Living in a monastery isn't a cakewalk, in case you didn't realize it. Just read "The Rule.")

Anyway, this section just jumped out at me (I've probably read it a dozen time before) this time. It jumped out at me because I'm realistic enough to know that lurking right around the corner is probably "one of those days." You know, the ones where you're ready to pull your hair out.

The Rule reminds us that if we face difficulties, we need to bear them for the Lord, including any suffering. We need to be patient in the face of adversity; to turn the other cheek when struck; to give our cloak to the very person who just took our cloak from us; to go the extra mile; to bear with false brethren (St Paul tells us all about the right way to do this); to bless those who curse us.

Whew! I read this and remembered that difficult days probably lie ahead. Then I remembered just how poorly I typically react to those difficult days. So I prayed that when those days come (maybe it'll be today!) I'll handle them the way St Benedict reminds us here.

So thanks, St Benedict, for the reminder. God knows I need to be reminded how to act like a Christian, especially when things aren't going my way, most especially at work, when you're so focused on doing your job you sometimes forget that the way you work and the way you treat the people you work for and the people you work with makes all the difference in God's eyes.

Hey, it's easy to do the right thing when things are going well. It's not so easy when your in the middle of a difficult day, especially when it's a difficult time in your life.

You know, between St Benedict and my Guardian Angel, I've got two pretty good partners and co-workers. If only I could just remember that they're there to help - in fact, they're there to help every day if I let them.

I'm glad I remembered all this - thanks mostly to St Benedict - and hope you'll remember too the next time your stuck in "one of those days."

Comments

Popular Posts