How John the Baptist Pushed Me Out the Door This Morning

I got up one morning a couple of weeks ago not feeling well. Nothing serious. Just one of those days where you have a little headache, your stomach's growling a bit and you're just tired. Ah, to remain in bed! But, no, I'm up and grinding it out.

I run my own business, so it's a little easier to grind away. Easier meaning I'm motivated by absolute necessity. If I don't grind it out one way or the other, there's no one else out there who can get the work done. That makes it a bit easier to just plow ahead.

When I worked in a big company, it was a little more tempting on a day like this to just call in sick. But even there, it' not like you don't have any responsibilities - serious responsibilities - to customers, your boss, the people you work with. So most of the time, I'd just push myself and get my butt to the office.

That morning, before work, I was reading Luke's Gospel about John the Baptist. (I try to read some Scripture every morning.) For some reason, I could just see and hear him vividly out there in the desert baptizing and preaching - more than I ever have before (even though I've read this passage dozens of times):

Ye offspring of vipers, who hath shewed you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of penance...For now the axe is laid to the root of the trees. Every tree therefore that bringeth not forth good fruit shall be cut down and cast into the fire.

That got me jumping a bit. I'd better have a pretty good reason not to show up at work today. I don't want to wind up being cast into any fire.

But still, I was really out of sorts. I did't have that zip, that creative energy, the drive to excel - or any of that good stuff that makes for a really good day at work. Then again, I guess you can't always be on your "A" game all the time, right?

And sure enough, Luke has something pretty interesting to say here. It's John's answer when the people ask him, "What then shall we do?":

He that hath two coats, let him give to him that hath none;
and he that hath meat, let him do in like manner. 

Well, it doesn't take much more than a simple act of the will to be charitable to others. I don't have to feel all that great for that, right?

And the publicans also came to be baptised, and said to him: Master, what shall we do? But he said to them: Do nothing than that which is appointed to you.

He's telling us to be fair in our dealings. It doesn't take a lot of creativity to be fair and just in our dealings during the day. I can manage that (I hope).

And the soldiers also asked him, saying: And what shall we do? And he said to them: Do violence to no man; neither calumniate any man; and be content with your pay.

So the next time some vendor screws up, I'll lay off wishing they'd walk in front of a moving truck. And that professional colleague that's been getting on my nerves, I'll just keep my mouth shut and not say something uncharitable about him. Oh, and even if I don't think I'm making enough money for all that effort I'll be making working while I don't feel so great - well, I'll just be happy that I'm making money at all in this tough economy.

So after all that I just thought thanks, St John, for helping to push me out the door. I'm not really feeling much better, but I'm heading out to work anyway. It may not be one of those "world-beating" days today, but I know I'll do a good job no matter how I'm feeling - all because of your help.

Comments

Popular Posts