The Night Jackie Gleason Gave Credit to God

We've been talking about taking credit. You know, when you do something good - on the job, as a husband or father...whenever.

I want to share a story about someone who - by any measure - had every right to take credit...and didn't. You may be surprised by the guy I'm talking about: Jackie Gleason.

You remember Gleason, don't you? He might be most famous for playing Ralph Kramden on the TV show The Honeymooners from way back in 1951. A lot of channels play the re-runs even now.

Here in New York, the show ran every week-night through (I think) the '70's and '80's - maybe even into the '90's. In fact, there was a saloon in the neighborhood (not that I'd ever go to a saloon of course) where every night at 11 PM they'd have The Honeymooners on the TV and everyone in the bar would say every line of the script out loud. (How do I know? A guy I used to work out with at local gym told me about it and he and I went there one night. I had to see if it was true. It was.)

Anyway, if you know anything about great American comedians, Gleason was up there with the best. In fact, he was known as "The Great One."

I don't know much about him personally, but he was born in Brooklyn, a Catholic, of Irish descent. He had a reputation as a big party guy and a big drinker. I have no idea if he practiced his faith.

But because of the wonder of "Youtube," one of my sons came across an interview from 1985 where Johnny Carson (the great "Tonight Show" host before Jay Leno) had Jackie Gleason on the show for the one and only time. It was interesting for someone like me who likes Gleason (and my son who loves The Honeymooners). But towards the end, something really struck me that Gleason said. It's got to do with this whole "taking credit" idea we've been talking about.

Carson asks Gleason if there's anything he hasn't done in his life that he wishes he could do. Gleason says no, he's pretty much been able to do all the things he set out to do - and he seemed pretty content with that.

I mean, the man was about as successful in his profession as you can be. And so he recognized that.

Interestingly, the first thing he brought up when he talked about his success was the fact that you've got to be lucky to be as successful as he was. Now this in itself is remarkable. Gleason never projected a "humble" sort of image. But there he was talking about how he simply had to have a lot of luck to be so successful. It takes some humility to say this, I think.

But what about talent? He had unquestionable talent. After all, they don't call him "The Great One" for no reason. And here's where I was really taken aback. So much so, I carefully transcribed what he said. Here goes:

You know talent, talent is a very annoying thing; cause you can't take any credit for it. It's a gift from God, you know, and you're stuck with that...Somebody says "You're good," you s(ay), "Well, God did it."

Those were his exact words.

Gleason never struck me as particularly religious. (Again, I don't know.) He always joked about his drinking, partying, and all the rest. But there he was giving all the credit to God. I was amazed. And, frankly, I got a big kick out of it. It was just wonderful to hear.

One final point. I noticed that Gleason seemed a little "off" his game that night. Nothing glaring. It was kind of subtle, but he seemed a step slow. And as he left the stage, he walked kind of gingerly. It turns out he really was sick with cancer. He died less than two years later at the age of 71.

So let's put the whole "taking credit" thing to bed. If Jackie Gleason could figure out that you've got to give credit to God, then you and I can do it, right?

Comments

Popular Posts