Does Your Work Make Your Rich?

Why work unless you can be rich? Lots of people think this. Most of them don't get rich. That makes a lot of people pretty miserable.

Of course, work makes some people rich. Ah, why couldn't I be one of them?

We just saw a wonderful production of "Fiddler on the Roof" a wonderful American musical. You may know the play. If you aren't familiar with it, see it sometime if you get the chance.

At one point, the main character, Tevye, sings a song that's now pretty famous: "If I Were a Rich Man." He's the husband of a Jewish family living in the early 20th century in Ukraine (when it was part of the Russian Empire), father of four daughters, struggling to make a living. He sings about what life would be like if he were rich.

(Click here for a video of the original Broadway star, Zero Mostel, performing the song brilliantly.)

Tevye may be Jewish, but there's much in the song for us Catholic men. When you work hard, sometimes you may think the reward isn't quite up to the effort.

(On the other hand, I hope there have been plenty of times when you know how fortunate you are and you just can't thank God enough for His blessings.)

While we live a lot better here in America than Tevye and his family lived in the play, times are difficult right now. And things aren't so great for a lot of us. So maybe it would be nice, after all, if you could be rich, eh?

At the end of the song, Tevye asks God:

Lord who made the lion and the lamb
You decreed I should be what I am
Would it spoil some vast eternal plan
If I were a wealthy man?

Have you ever felt this way? I have - at times. I have to remind myself that I can (thank God) provide a modest security and sufficiency for my family - even in these difficult times. And that's really what most of us men provide over the long run in the greater scheme of things.

I have to remind myself, too, that my family - for the most part - really isn't worried about us not being rich. We've managed so far. As the kids get older and have started moving out, they can support themselves (so far). Our health is pretty good (so far). I mean, there's really not much to complain about, when I think about it.

And, in fact, there are times when it's all I can do to thank God over and over for what I have. I'm really a blessed man in that sense. I can see what God has done for our family - and I think most of my family can see that too, most of the time. On balance, not bad, right?

The rich, I'm sure, have their own problems too. It's not like money buys happiness or anything, right?

Still, I must say there are times when Tevye's question does pop up in my mind. I wonder what could it hurt if...well, never mind.

(If you're in the mood for a good chuckle, try this version of "If I were a rich man" in Japanese!)

Comments

Popular Posts