Work As If It's Always Easter

Easter Season continues. The priest wears white every day now, in contrast to the purple of Lent. The contrast couldn't be clearer. Joy prevails now.

So how come things don't always "feel" so great all the time?

I'm back at work and, truth be told, that old "grind" that comes with working every day is back. It feels just like it did before Easter. Nothing's changed.

Well, not really. Something's changed.

During Lent, I asked God to help me learn to rely more on Him. And so I took my own advice - the suggestion I made last week - and thought about that. Sure enough, there were times - more than one - when I did stop and totally, TOTALLY, rely on God during Lent. I don't know about you, but it wasn't easy to just let go and trust in God - totally.

It's not important what I relied on Him for. It could have been some particularly difficult task I had to perform at work (that happens a lot to me); or maybe it was some personal difficulty, like a family dispute or something.

So instead of just relying on my own ability to "handle" the situation, I called on God. I just asked for His help.

Now, it's not like I just sat back and did nothing. I dealt with the problem the best I could. In the case of a tough task at work, I just thought through what had to be done and did it. The difference was that I didn't worry about it, didn't give in to the anxiety that typically overtakes me when things don't go just right. I did what I had to do, and figured God will do what He thinks best.

It works for personal difficulties too. Let's say you're worried about one of your children. You're thinking they may be developing a bad habit or straying from the truth, or anything else that typically turns a parent's hair gray. So, of course, you pray. Then you think of what you might do that would be helpful.

If it's gentle advice or stern correction, then go ahead and just follow through. But, again, don't get worked up or all in a huff or anything. You do what you think you need to do, and then turn it over to God.

The thing is, when I turned things over to Him totally, at the time, it may not have "felt" like He heard me or that He responded right away. But when I look back, I can see that's exactly what He did.

I got the task done, and done well. The family dispute or argument resolved itself - and without my great management skills!

So thank God for His grace this past Lent. Somehow, someway, I made some progress. I grew closer to Him by relying more on Him.

But this feeling now - that work's grinding on - what's that about? Shouldn't I be a "new man"? Shouldn't I be in the "Alleluia" frame of mind because it's Easter season?

How silly all this is. I'm still here, working; still here on earth on my journey to Heaven. Life goes on. Little difficulties and disappointments keep coming at me. Oh, that's right, rely on Him; rely on God.

I noticed the progress I made during Lent, so why not continue that way. Why not keep asking God for the grace to rely on Him, the grace to stop relying only on myself. It's not like I can't keep praying for His grace. It's not like I can't keep growing closer to Him now that Lent's over.

Ah, that's better. Work isn't grinding away so much now. Things are flowing now. I stopped focusing on what I have to do - all that stuff that always seems backed up and pressing in on me - and focused on God.

Sure, everything at work relies on me. And so I have to apply myself this day, every day, day after day, whether I feel like it or not. But it's not such a daunting thing now. I can rely on God. Even for my everyday work, I can take a deep breath, say a quick prayer. I know He hears me.

Now that I thought about what happened during Lent, I realize how He works with us - how He always works with us. He didn't rise from the dead and go away. He's with us now. So when you work, acknowledge Him. He's right there by your side. Work in His light. Work with the Risen Lord helping you each step of the way.

Happy Easter!

Comments

Popular Posts