Don't let envy sink its claws into you at work.

Sometimes you meet people at work who seem to have it all. I once met guy at work who was a "legend" in his department. He made money hand over fist for the company and himself. He was a salesman, and, as you know, sometimes salesmen can do very well.

He wasn't the first salesman I had met who made a lot of money. But this guy was special. He was held in high esteem. People were in awe of his ability to get deals done, no matter the economy. But something didn't sit right with me when I met him. Something seemed "off."

It wasn't that he was overtly sleazy or anything like that. Well, he was a bit slick - you know, a bit overdressed maybe - but salespeople do have to look their best I suppose. But he wasn't one of those people who sounded like he was always deceptive or lying to make the sale. He worked in a sophisticated area of finance. He dealt with "big wheels" at other financial institutions. He knew his stuff and could make his case in a straightforward, direct manner without resorting to exaggeration or questionable tactics during sales presentations.

Then one day he was led out of the building by security guards - without a moment's notice. I never saw him again. No one seemed to know what happened to him. But people were told he had engaged in activities that could jeopardize the company's reputation. It had something to do with bribery and kickbacks, as well as forms of entertainment that were far outside the boundaries of good practice and good taste - to be charitable about it.

I suspected I wasn't the only one who wondered about this guy. But, as I told someone at the time, the company would probably put up with whatever he was doing as long as he made lots of money for the company and wasn't completely and obviously outrageous or dangerous. So I guess he either stopped making enough money for the company or he crossed some ethical line that would embarrass the company.

I bring all this up because I met him at a time when I was struggling financially, and couldn't provide my family as I had hoped. He, on the other hand, owned a huge home, and had a driver to take his kids to school, as well as shepherd his wife around town. Not that I ever aspired to a limo and driver, but, to be perfectly honest, I think I envied him a bit nonetheless.

Envy's a terrible thing. I never quite got caught up in that searing envy that makes people get jealolus, even angry, at others' success. But this guy taught me a lesson about the dangers of envy. Frankly, it almost sneaked up on me and sunk its teeth deep into my soul. By the grace of God, I didn't give in to it.

Here are a few verses from Psalm 37 that explain it all:

Fret not yourself because of the wicked
be not envious of wrongdoers!
For they will soon fade like the grass and wither like the green herb.
Trust in the Lord, and do good;
so you will dwell in the land, and enjoy security.
Take delight in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

If you run into people who seem to have it all, don't spend a lot of time dwelling on what they've got that you don't. Better to just keep your mind on your work and offer your best efforts to God. Any time I spent back then with envy was wasted time.

Envy gets you nowhere and it offends God. Just turn to God if envy creeps up on you. Don't worry about what others make, or think they live a lot better than you. You don't really know, and besides, it's not what God wants for us.

Comments

Popular Posts