Holy Week at Work

Holy Week begins. Many of us will keep Holy Week privately when we're at work. Unless you have Catholic co-workers with whom you are comfortable discussing these matters, you're on your own.
The challenge then is to keep the events of Holy Week front and center from now through Holy Saturday - even as you perform you job as best you can.

Good Friday can be a special challenge. The Church's tradition calls for us to observe the hours from noon to 3 PM - the time Our Lord hung on His cross - in a special way. If you're at work, this may be really tough to do. But, at the very least, you can certainly remember His suffering throughout those three hours, no matter what you're doing at work.

During my working life, I've occasionally been able to take Good Friday off - usually using a vacation day, when that was permitted. Sometimes the firm would actually be closed on Good Friday, though this was rare. And when I really had to be at work, I dealt with this in different ways. Sometimes, I could leave early for the day; sometimes arrange my day so that I would have limited contact with people and could reasonable maintain silence during the three hours.

The key for us Catholic Men at Work is to make sure we keep Holy Week in some special way.

And so I won't be posting anymore this week, returning after Easter. Meanwhile, let's keep Holy Week holy.

Comments

Popular Posts