The apostles "just do it."

We've all heard or read the famous Nike slogan: "Just do it." It's a kind of typically American/business exhortation. We Americans like nothing better than action, especially on the job, right?

We've also read how Jesus called the apostles "Follow me." And they followed.

Read the version in the the Gospel of Mark (1:16-20). You'll be struck by how economically Mark describes Jesus calling and Peter, Andrew, James and John's instant response. They "just do it."

I've often puzzled over this. The picture I used to have is that some guy just walks up to them and they get up and go. But it can't just be that.

Maybe they knew who Jesus was. He was preaching and they'd heard Him; they at least heard about Him and knew who He was. Whatever the reason, it wasn't like they just sort of mindlessly or irrationally took off after Him.

So what's this got to do with our work? Let's look at that whole idea of 'sanctifying' your work.

Did you ever wonder if sanctifying your work will somehow distract you, or make the quality of your work suffer? Did you ever see a disparity between "results-oriented" work and sanctifying your work? If you did, re-read Mark's gospel passage. It's the ultimate in "results-oriented" action. Again, the apostles take action - without a single word.

Maybe that's the point. When you sanctify your work, when you do it for His greater glory, when you try your best and put everything into your work, you'll wind up being that efficient, action-oriented American at work and more. You'll be a Catholic man at work.

There's nothing to hold you back when you sanctify your work. Nothing to fear, nothing to agonize over.

Keep it simple (another business slogan!): When you wake up, start your day with prayer. I read some scripture, some spiritual reading. I also do some sort of reading about Church teachings - doctrinal reading. Of course, I have to get up a bit early to make time for this, but so what. And if I've got the time, I meditate for 10 or 15 minutes on some subject (e.g., something prescribed by your spiritual director, or some reliable spiritual writer).

OK, so you're already doing that. Then you're off to work. Now start your actual work day with a prayer. Nothing elaborate. Maybe just "Jesus, by your grace, with your help, I will work this day for your greater glory."

Sure, it'd be great if you could "recollect" yourself throughout the day from time to time. Say a little prayer (Hail Mary?) or aspiration (I love you Jesus) right smack in the middle of something you're working on, or in between tasks.

Frankly, I've always had trouble remembering God during the day and praying or saying aspirations (although I do sometimes). So here's a good suggestion (from my spiritual director). "Re-start" your day at some point. I do at lunch. I even put a note in my calendar about this. I just begin my afternoon work after some prayer.

The point of all this isn't to pat myself on the back. But I did want to let you know what I do or at least try to do. Now it's your turn to "just do it."

Comments

Popular Posts