Consult the Rule of St Benedict when making decisions

I've brought up the Rule of St Benedict before, and will continue doing so in 2010. If you remember, it's traditionally read in Benedictine monasteries every day and in the course of a year, is read 3 full times. January 1st began the first cycle of the year. On January 26th, Benedict counsels the Abbot (head of the monastery) regarding making practical decisions related to the day to day operation of the monastery. Watch how this applies to us Catholic men, especially if we're in positions of authority or managing a team:

If "matters of less importance, having to do with the welfare of the monastery, are to be treated of, let him use the counsel of Seniors only, as it is written: 'Do all things with counsel, and thou shalt not repent when thou hast done.'

This is good advice if you're making business decisions, specifically if you manage a team, isn't it?. Get your team together and solicit their opinion and advice. You make the ultimate decision, but get their views on the table. If addressing a problem, you'll find potential solutions easier to craft when you get this sort of input from your team members.

That's why I read - and recommend that you read - the Rule. I'm not the only one who thinks this way. Others have seen the genius in this work by St Benedict. I don't know if many people (non-monks) actually read the Rule on a regular basis and don't therefore know how many people benefit from that genius. But now you can.

When I first began reading the Rule, it was to help me in getting my spiritual life in order (not that it is now, but I keep trying!). But it didn't take too long before I realized just how much of the Rule contains the very best practical advice for both boss and worker in any organization. So now when I read it, I always pick up some great ideas for running my own business. And when I worked in a larger organization, I found it helpful when I was either a team member, or was in charge of a team.

The Rule was written in the 6th century AD - about 1,500 years ago. I challenge you, though, to find anything "dated" in it. You will find some chapters that provide very detailed instructions on the psalms and other prayers and readings that monks should read and pray throughout the year. Those passages don't always translate easily into practical advice for our everyday work in the secular world. But they're interesting nevertheless in their detail and the care which Benedict takes to provide a framework for the prayer life of the monk. You can learn much in his care and the detail of these passages and apply that same spirit to any long-term project you're responsible for. At least I see it that way.

So I encourage you to try reading the Rule. It's not necessary to read it every day (even though I do), like you read your scripture and spiritual reading each day, but I'm sure you'll find it a rich source of both spiritual and practical advice from one of the great saints.

And remember, our current Pope, Benedict XVI, took the name "Benedict" out of deference and respect for the great saint. He has referred to him as one of the men who shaped our Western civilization and we pray to him for help and guidance as we all try to in return our culture to its Christian roots.

St Benedict, pray for us, especially all us Catholic men at work.

Comments

Popular Posts