Are you deserving? Are you worthy?

My Dad used to urge me to "stand up for myself." I've always been a bit reticent about stating my case to my employer when I thought I deserved more pay for the work I've done.

On the other hand, when I think back, it shocks me to think how many times I may have received Communion without the right attitude of humility. Did I think I was somehow "worthy" to receive Our Lord? I probably didn't consciously think that, but I do wonder whether I really had a proper sense of humility every time I've received. I hope I do now.

Being deserving and being worthy aren't the same. It's important to know the difference. Today, let's look at the difference. We're probably more deserving and less worthy than we think. We'll start with being deserving.

A friend wasn't paid what he deserved this month. His bonus was flat from last year's. As he described the situation, it seemed clear that justice was not served when his company doled out his February bonus, based upon his performance in 2009. He wasn't whining, but he was justly, well, annoyed (not quite angry).

Let's move on to being worthy. Today, by God's grace, I'll receive Holy Communion. Right before I do, I'll express the fact that I'm not worthy to receive Our Lord's Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Eucharist: "O Lord I am not worthy..." If you remember, these were the words of the Centurion in the gospel who asked Jesus to cure his servant. When Jesus offered to come to his home, the Centurion, in a true spirit of humility, told Our Lord that only His word was necessary. The Centurion didn't feel worthy that Jesus should come under his roof. In fact, in the "old" translation of the words of the liturgy, Catholics used to pray "O Lord I am not worthy that thou shouldst come under my roof; say but the word and my soul shall be healed."

Being deserving and being worthy are two radically different concepts. My experience is that not enough of us stand up for ourselves. Not enough of us say what we believe we deserve. We tend to just get frustrated when we're not paid for our efforts.

On the other hand, too many of us believed we're worthy when we're really not. Maybe it's from all that self-esteem that's been piled on us for years. Maybe it's because we've lost the sense of sin.

Standing up for yourself when you're deserving is a good thing. Based on an understanding of justice, we can discern when we deserve something - like my friend did with his bonus. He based his conclusion on a careful analysis of the facts and made his argument to his boss. Some of you may feel you deserve more compensation for the effort you put in to your work. Take a lesson from my friend and make the effort to state your case - in a careful, reasoned manner. He wound up with a concession from his boss - some additional compensation. Maybe not what he thought he deserved, but it was something.

But being worthy is something else. The centurion had it right. Here was a man of rank and privilege. He wielded authority over others. People, especially those under his command, deferred to him. He could have been puffed up with pride, but he wasn't. He was a pagan, yet Our Lord said, "I have not found so great faith in Israel."

The Centurion knew what we should all know: He - and we - are not worthy - ever - to receive Our Lord in the Eucharist.

When you go to work today, think about how deserving you are. If you're not being paid what you deserve, do something about it. Using the virtue of justice as your guide, you have every right to state your case to your boss. Of course, you may need a bit of the virtue of fortitude too, but you can always pray for that. Maybe Our Lord will give the fortitude you need to press your case. He'll do it if it's what's best for you.

If you can get to Mass today, remember that, deserving as you may be, it doesn't mean you're worthy. When you say the words of the Centurion before receiving Communion - "O Lord I am not worthy..." - go to Him in that spirit of humility. Say the words and follow the example of the Centurion.

Comments

Popular Posts