Where were you on October 7th?

It was the anniversary of the battle of Lepanto. In 1571 the Christians defeated the Turks in a sea battle where the Christians were the underdog. About a hundred years later, the Christians in Vienna defeated the Turks who were trying to take the city. Between these two battles, the Turks were turned back, once and for all. The Christian West was saved from the Islamic invader.

On October 7th, I had to drive to a meeting in New Jersey. I was nursing a pinched nerve in my upper back and neck. Pain, stiffness. I thought of Lepanto.

What would I have done that day, if I were on one of the Christian galleys - an underdog facing a superior Turkish fleet? I would have done my job - at least I hope I would have. One thing I know: I wouldn't have told my boss my neck hurt. Just being a guy makes that impossible.

So off I went to my meeting, driving over the George Washington bridge, gingerly turning my head when I had to check traffic as I was driving, keeping my mind off the pain and on the task at hand.

The meeting went well. I even explained the neck thing, since I was a bit stiff in my movements and didn't want my clients to think I was just acting wierd.

More thoughts of Lepanto on the way home. By now, the pain was wearing me out. But those Turks weren't letting up, so neither would I.

I didn't save the Christain West from the Turks that day. But I was grateful to those who fought agains all odds way back in 1571. I even remembered that the Pope asked Christians to pray the rosary that day - to pray for victory. And, of course, it worked.

So, yes, I made darn sure I prayed my rosary - probably more carefully than I typically do. And I was grateful to be a Catholic, to have a client to see, to be able to support my family, to be able to drive with a stiff, painful neck - well, you get the picture.

Then I remembered the Communion of Saints. We're all part of it. Those sailors at Lepanto, my family, my clients, we're all in this together. When we pray and work, we do it for each other. We're all aiming for heaven, pulling in the same direction.

What a great day; what a great Faith. The pain didn't go away, but it didn't matter much. I got home that night and just fell into my chair feeling pretty tired. Just a Catholic man at the end of a good day's work.

Comments

Popular Posts